Thread: any Fridge/Freezer engineers on the forum?

Thanks

any Fridge/Freezer engineers on the forum?

I have a John Lewis JLffw2007, the freezer is fine but the fridge runs warm after about a week.
    Defrosting makes everything OK again for about another week. The fan is free and running OK, I suspect the heater element or defrost cycle timer, problem is I dont know how to dismantle the f**ing thing to check.
    The evaporater is in the top of the freezer compartment but I cant see how to get to it.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated except use a sledge hammer.

Thanks
    m8 same thing... got a American! fridge here was quoted 280 for callout + service (parts not included) so last good spell unplugged and 'dragged' the fookin thing outside left it there for 24hrs...tis runnin great since!...WoW

feck cheese was even meltin...was told by engineer that some kind of ice build up was on the exchange unit (between freezer and fridge) they would force defrost with low level heat gun (hair dryer!)...but what I had done was better cause it ensured all melted ice (water) was well dried by the spell outside.

best luck
    Last edited by gerryl; 18-05-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    don't know if this helps but I have a samsung american style fridge freezer. I was getting Ice build ups, if you remove the bit that runs down the back of the inside of the fridge you will see it.
    Take everything of including the fan, thats where the ice starts to build up.
    I did get mine fixed by Samsung even though it was out of warranty.

Thanks
    Try to leave unplugged for 24hrs(I understand this could be difficult especially if you already have food inside)mybe neibour or family could assist storing the food for said time.Once the freezer has stood untouched for 24hrs-switch on and try again this has worked for me in the past.---hope this helps you.

Thanks
    Thanks guys we all seem to thinking along the same track. I may well not have given it long enough to fully defrost, as soon as water appeared in the evaporation tray above the motor I started it up again. I will have to borrow a fridge, I already have a spare chest freezer but no fridge.
    I still would love to know how the plastic panel comes off to give access to the evaporator, heater element and fan. I think it is held together in a similar way to a Dyson (snapped) but unless you are sure it is not a good idea to lever bits with a screwdriver!

Thanks
    Just a thought make sure the inside light is turning off when you shut the door?

Thanks
    m8...did defrost for 24hrs in doors prob came back...that's why dragged it outside (during daylight hrs)...feckin thing great ever since...best luck

Thanks
    Well about six weeks have gone by and I hope that at last I have fixed it. If any of you are as tight fisted as me and have a similar problem this may help you.
    The trouble was caused by a faulty defrost cycle. The evaporator has a heating element wrapped around it, this may sound stupid but clears the build up of ice so the fan can blow air through it. I assume that power is supplied to this element from the control panel but the circuit also has two switches in series, both clipped to the evaporator) one is for overheat protection and disconnects at 40C, the other is for normal working and switches at -5C (or at least I think so as I cant read the lettering on it!)
    This switch had become faulty and so no power was getting to the element.
    The replacement is called a "thermal cutout" and cost £40 including next day delivery.

Thanks

fridge defrost problem

[QUOTE=crabber;805087]Well about six weeks have gone by and I hope that at last I have fixed it. If any of you are as tight fisted as me and have a similar problem with our american style maytag fridge freezer and called out whirlpool to arrange to have someone come out and fix it only to find out that all their service calls are being handled by a large insurance company begins with D who in turn sub contract the work on to clueless engineers some of whom have no idea who to fix one of these refrigerators. This i found out when two different contractors turned up just look at the appliance and ran away saying he had to order a part which in the end i found out he did not order. The other one said he had never seen one of these refrigerators before. I later found out that a lot of the engineers they are using are not qualified to regas r134 and the company is more interested in selling you an insurance policy and to be blunt customers are being lied to and a lot of customers are being told that their refrigerators have a gas leak or the compressor is faulty and can't
    be repaired. A blatant lie. I finally manage to get someone out to fix it after countless email to the manufacturer they gave me the contact details of agsrefrigeration.co.uk a company who service the london area it was a fault with the evaporator fan motor which they replaced.

Thanks
    Did you ever find out how to dismantle the cover on the evaporator. I'm trying to do that now!