Thread: Samsung LCD fault.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Samsung LCD fault.

Had my Samsung 52 inch TV for 4 years now.Recently it developed a fault of clicking repeatedly on switch on.After some research it appears this is a common fault in particular to LCD's.It appears inferior capacitors were fitted to the power board.Rang Samsung UK and they asked for the model/serial number then arranged for a TV engineer to replace the capacitors FOC,
    If you have this prob ring Samsung asap otherwise if the clicking prob continues in can damage/wipe the main eeprom.

Thanks
    hi, yes i repair alot of lcd tv's for power supply faults.(its my job)
    samsung and lg are by far the biggest culprits !
    normally low quality caps are fitted.

Thanks

Exclamation Hi. Yes repair...but..?

Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    hi, yes i repair alot of lcd tv's for power supply faults.(its my job)
    samsung and lg are by far the biggest culprits !
    normally low quality caps are fitted.
    When Samsung's and LG's inferior quality faulty capacitors are replaced by the engineer, do they require higher quality capacitors are used as replacements? OR do they replace with similar duff quality ones? This might decide for me whether to steer clear of Samsung and LG product!

Power Bank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Bank View Post
    This might decide for me whether to steer clear of Samsung and LG product!
    My last 2 TV's have been LG and no faults. I just buy on which has the best picture.

Also the OP's TV is 4 years old, and if I was going to keep a TV that long it would be worth getting a 5 year warranty at time of purchase.

Plenty of Panasonic and Sony's also go wrong with screen faults after a few years, so you can't really guarantee any TV is more reliable than another.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    My last 2 TV's have been LG and no faults. I just buy on which has the best picture.

Also the OP's TV is 4 years old, and if I was going to keep a TV that long it would be worth getting a 5 year warranty at time of purchase.

Plenty of Panasonic and Sony's also go wrong with screen faults after a few years, so you can't really guarantee any TV is more reliable than another.
    Fair play to Samsung if they have fixed it foc outside of the warranty.

Personally I would never get an extended warranty for anything.In my opinion these are just a way for sellers to increase profit on a sale. Buy decent quality in the first place and hope for the best. (Also I have found extended warranties tend to not be cost effective i.e. a large proportion of replacement cost)

I suppose many people would buy from John Lewis simply because they come with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Finally 4 years good service from a relatively new technology seems ok. He might have paid a lot for his telly 4 years ago but I bet he could replace the telly for a lot less now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joany View Post
    (I have found extended warranties tend to not be cost effective i.e. a large proportion of replacement cost)

I suppose many people would buy from John Lewis simply because they come with a 5 year warranty as standard.
    In the past a lot of these plasma/LCD TV's would never last more than 4 or 5 years.

Hopefully reliability has improved in todays models which would mean extended warranties are not so essential.

Thanks
    First and second generations of plasma and lcd ( price for a 32 inches lcd, was 5/6000€), they still working.
    i have a 26 inches Sharp, from end 2002 (payed 4000€) Still up and runing (super picture), same for the first ambilight generetion from Philips (32 inches, payed 6000€ in 2003), Nxt Flat speakers, Still working on my Kitchen and Great picture quality.
    Let's see how long those 350€ 32" (sam and lg) will work !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Bank View Post
    When Samsung's and LG's inferior quality faulty capacitors are replaced by the engineer, do they require higher quality capacitors are used as replacements? OR do they replace with similar duff quality ones? This might decide for me whether to steer clear of Samsung and LG product!

Power Bank
    i always fit higher voltage/temp types.
    also any known modifications.

Thanks
    About a year ago I was brousing an Australian forum and Samsung LED tv was mentioned there, especially for their innovative back lit v side lit screen which had fault.

The forum post said at first Samsung had given rotten service to the buyer but when similar complaints poured in from huge number of customers and the press also got wind of it, their service suddenly became very good. It was even publicised that the next generation, which I expect is now, would be free of this fault.

Power Bank