Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong subject area but Iam not sure what the problem is.

Some time ago I bought a new Cuberevo HD twin satellite tuner with HDD and I couldn't get any sense out of it. Rather foolishly, due to work pressures, I assumed it was due to my incompetence in setting it up and left it pending having some time available, whereas I probably should have sent it back to the retailer.

My other excuse for inaction was the fact that somebody from one of the forums (thank god for satellite forums!) had just suggested that I load EDG Nemesis 4.4 onto my totally unpredictable DM7000S and it suddenly became transformed beyond belief, so much so that I totally fell in love with it for the first time and couldn't leave it alone.

Eventually returning to this sleek, expensive and sulking Cuberevo goddess in the corner, what I found it was doing was consistently booting to error 80 on its front screen. A hard to find para at the end of the handbook suggested wrong communication between cpu and motherboard and contacting authorised service somewhere.

As it is possibly a bit late for that now, I have this week experimentally fired quite a few flash images, downloaded from this forum, at the Cuberevo using a Windows box and USB cable link.

One image displayed error 10, another continuously showed booting but no onscreen menu. Nevertheless this was an improvement on constant error 80!

The first sign of a new dawn came with AAF_Winterimage. This showed Module Loading, Enigma 2, Tideglo on the receiver and produced my first "on screen" menus enabling set up of Video Mode, Language and Communication Parameters (in my case DHCP). After that it just happily wandered off into a green screen apology in English for software errors and continuously auto soft rebooted with a screen of errors the substance of appears to be about tuning eg "service unavailable, check tuner configuration". A "cold" reboot works itself through to a start up screen warning in German which I don't quite understand but I think it refers to repairs, so no doubt it is unhappy about the same thing. Needless to say I had no opportunity to put in any satellite configuration data whatsoever so I am slightly baffled by all this.

The really good news is that this "almost working" image brings up the DHCP communication parameters and I can now potentially access the Cuberevo, using a dedicated Linux box with Telnet or FTP, and maybe perform a heart transplant. I regret that although I have a lot of experience of installing early Linux distros (and temporarily losing the boot facility in the process) I have no experience of reformatting or installing the hard drive on a satellite box if the problem is likely to be in there somewhere. Equally I am unsure of the actual link beween flash memory, the kernel and the operating software. Whether to use ext2 or ext3 etc

Presumably the hardware is OK, maybe the receiver is inherently OK and Iam using an incompatible image or maybe I have just got problems.(If needs be I can dive into the Cuberevo and drag out out error scripts etc)

Whichever it is I would be grateful for any advice that anyone can give me on where to head next.

Failing that a showroom condition Cuberevo for sale, delivery mileage only!