Thread: confused with soft cams

Thanks

confused with soft cams

guys,

this is my first linux box, and im still a bit confused with all the cam talk.

there is XCAM, MCAS, OctaCAM, and CCCAM, XCAS, and the one on here called PLUGIN (great)

im not doing c sharing and just want to unscramble whatever is left to get such as DIGI TV and now BULSAT.

what are the differences in the cams?

is CCCAM only for c sharing purposes, or does it decode too?

is there a guide on the differences>

ta

Thanks
    In addition to this can anyone advise what the softcam.key is and how to use it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    the main cams will decode if you install the softcam for a dreambox into the right folder , and providing the cam is running

therefore anything like cccam , gbox , mgcamd , newcamd etc can decode using the softcam key file , providing you start the cam running

in the case of this box , it would seem you just need the softcam in the key folder var/etc/keys , so the kink dink installer allows it to be installed in the correct folder

if you open any softcam using notepad plus or similar , you will see it is just a text file containing keys and caids etc , in specific order and in a specific manner

then enable the icecrypt equivalent of the cam required and digi tv ( and others ) will decode ( you can test this by removing the ethernet cable and trying them out )

this works just the same way as boxes have done for several years

some cams can also do other tricks , like work with cards , or use N lines or C lines from servers

so sometimes you will find one cam does a number of tricks for you , or a pair may do that , like xcam + mcas ( or on a dreambox like cccam + newcs )

it would seem that some boxes like the azbox and icecrypt have their own variants of the main multicas cams , and so have their own names too

many boxes use plugins to do various jobs , and one task is to install updates to cams , so we do have cam plugins designed to install those updates , or use the kinkdink installer instead , plugins tend to be done using the remote control , whereas pc tools mean you use a pc instead ( sometimes this will mean ftp )

Thanks
    thanks for the explanation, are softcam.key files universal for ALL the varied cams?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ManikM View Post
    thanks for the explanation, are softcam.key files universal for ALL the varied cams?
    you would have to talk to a softcam expert like maybe compass or kempa82 on that aspect

it seems to me that they are tailor made for certain jobs , like a tmsoftcam for the tm 1000/5000/6000 range for instance

and each cam can actually d/l its own softcam from plugins like satan , so if you look in a dreambox key zip file ( softcam file etc ) like minicats or satan or similar you will see softcams exist for each cam as well as a main softcam in var/etc/keys

Thanks
    can somebody please remind me how to get the digi tv ones like boomerang to work on 1 west ?

I have added the latest softcam using the kink installer , just need to remember which plugin to start or whatever was needed ( its open on my technomate )

Thanks
    MCAS has an auto key update available now. Runs well with Xcam