Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping and Caravan Holidays

V.I.P
    Thanks

Camping and Caravan Holidays

Now that we are in full season down here in Cornwall thought I would ask why in gods name do people decide to spend there summer vacation in a tent or in a caravan.

They come down here towing caravans,[holding all traffic up],or fetch tents with them sleeping on damp ground with no comfort whatsoever and moan when it is ****ing down,[which normally happens down here every august].

All I can think is that they have no intention of spending any money and just being a moaning pain in the ass for the time they spend on holiday.

I have looked for the benefits of camping or spending time in a caravan and the only conclusion that I can reach is that they are all as tight as a camels ass in a sandstorm.

Cheers
    Jay

V.I.P
    Thanks
    we go camping & love it, been doing it since the kids were small, we go to france now, where they know all about camping!!! they have the best sites & the best weather too!!
    maggie

V.I.P
    Thanks
    We started caravanning last year with a little fold-up caravan that we keep in the garage. Its just so nice to be away from home with all the facilities you miss in a hotel. Plus we used to stay in pubs for £20 a night a few years ago. Now its nearer £120. We had a weekend in the Cotswolds before we got the caravan it cost £400 with meals etc. We paid £375 for two weeks in Tunisia half board two years ago. So its no contest when we are in England, the caravan wins every time.

Thanks
    You grumpy old so and so!

I love camping, been doing it off and on for many years.
    Kids love it as it's an adventure to them.

As long as you have a comfy surface to sleep on you will have a great time regardless of the weather.

dog-man

V.I.P
    Thanks

Camping

Not being grumpy mate.
    I can not see any benefit whatsoever camping in the U.K.All people in this country deserve a good holiday just for the sake of getting away from it all for a week or so but to sit in a tent or caravan in July/August in this country when we are slap bang in the monsoon season beggars belief.

Maggie summed it all up,if you like camping go to a country that understands the "joys" of camping and where you can get a lot of sunny days.

Cheers
    Jay

btw It is a fact that the monsoon season in July/August occurs 8 out of every 10 years in the U.K. and Northern France.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Guys you know my feeling on this subject

I'm big on Touring around the Uk with my Caravan behind Me.

It's an Englishman's god given right to tow his mobile home behind him.

Don't get me started on Tractors holding us carravanners up lol!
    To quote jayprince,

All I can think is that they have no intention of spending any money and just being a moaning pain in the ass for the time they spend on holiday.

I have looked for the benefits of camping or spending time in a caravan and the only conclusion that I can reach is that they are all as tight as a camels ass in a sandstorm.
    Thats your view and your welcome to It

But we tend to use Haven Sites, there not cheap but offer all the facilities for the family.

Last year we paid 450 quid site fees to stay a Devon cliffs for 2 weeks in Late July.
    We had a great time weather wasn't good but the site had plenty to entertain us.
    we did spend a shed load of cash in the complex & on excursions in the local area

This year were going back to the wild Duck near great Yarmouth on July 24th for our summer hols, Meeting up with friends again.

It's not about going away on the cheap and moaning all the time.

I can only speak as i find People are very friendly on camp-sites we have visited,
    also we choose to holiday this way, so we can see our beautiful Country side.

Enough said
    Last edited by ^^COMPASS^^; 12-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    Each to his or her own...

Regarding France, if you camp anywhere north of Le Mans don't expect the weather to be much different to the UK. If you go further South, I doubt if it would overall be any cheaper than a budget package deal somewhere like Turkey or Cyprus.

Crossing the channel is wickedly expensive during high season, especially if you don't use Dover, and even then you can easily pay over £400 for a car + 4 if you have two weeks over there. And if you need to drive south, the Péage costs soon mount up, Calais to Bordeaux will cost around £100 return.

Thanks
    We Go Camping every year, have done it now for the last 30 years
    15 of them in Greece
    6 in Italy
    and now the last 4 years in Sardinia ( Super )
    And don't tell me the Brit's have got no Money when they can spend out 7,000 on world cup football matches.
    Just get yourself out of good old England

Thanks
    [IMG]http://www.movie.gimodata.dk/***Fun2009Gimo.jpg[/IMG]

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Talking about monsoon season, I hear 8 Germans camping on a German Island have been injured in a Tornado!!

Thanks
    to say nothing about the greedy farmers and land owners who charge way way over the top for tents and caravans nowadays..............
    it used to be fun................but like weverything else today..... its just greed. and to hell with attitude also...............been there done it...............and to hell with it..........

Thanks
    You, (well I), can't beat tenting in Britain. Rain or shine. We take virtually all the food n booze with us to avoid getting ripped off by the locals. Live like Kings!!

Thanks
    agree love camping a big adventure for kids thats the main reason .,,a lot of shandy drinkers in this thread me thinks
    all mods cons 60cm hirsh dish £5.50 from the bay
    Last edited by simon 2003; 13-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    I never drink shandy...

V.I.P
    Thanks

Camping

No shandy down my neck either.

Going camping and taking your own food and booze is really not playing the game.

There is no finer site down here in Cornwall than watching the grokels being ripped off and actually smiling when they pay £3.50 for a pasty in Padstow during the summer months,especially when I pay £2 for the same pasty made by the same bakers and supplied to my local village shop.They will never learn.

Cheers
    Jay
    Last edited by jayprince; 13-07-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: text

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    I'm a self confessed "Radler Mass" drinker and a camper.

When my lad as younger we used to go caravanning to the Frejus area for 3 weeks each summer, often taking a neighbours kiddy too. Such a relaxing hol and try doing that for the same price with a package in the high season.

Also the 60 cm Sat kit would have seriously dented the baggage allowance.

Thanks
    If you haven't been to Germany, Radler = Shandy

BTW: At least you didn't admit to drinking alster (a horrible concoction of fanta + beer which looks like Thames river water, complete with s***)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbleu500 View Post
    If you haven't been to Germany, Radler = Shandy

BTW: At least you didn't admit to drinking alster (a horrible concoction of fanta + beer which looks like Thames river water, complete with s***)
    Alster is the shandy drunk in the northern regions of Germany and yes, it is usually made from lemon juice not lemonade.

In the Ruhr and farther south it is usually Radler which is like UK shandy.

Strictly, Radler = cyclist but in a bar it refers to shandy as Radler Mass = cyclist's brew.

It also took me ages to find out that the French call it Panache - before that I had to have two glasses and mix it myself

Thanks
    Hi Jay

How do you choose to holiday? I personally love camping and it has taught my two children an amazing amount of tolerance and understanding during their informative years.

cheers

d

V.I.P
    Thanks

Camping

Good quality B+B or Hotels.

Cheers
    Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast