Thread: hdd mount failed

Thanks

hdd mount failed

Hi

This is a difficult one for me being my first dreambox but I'm hoping some of you might help.

I use the Dream Elite Blackhole 1.3 image but I'm having a lot of problems formating a sata drive in a esata dockingstation.

The box recongnizes the drive then into Devices Manager > Moutpoints I select /media/hdd.Save and reboot.

On restart and back into Devices manager I get Hard Disk: S**500418AS, Size:500.107 GB, Mount:/media/hdd, Dvice:/dev/sda1

After that in menu > setup > system I select Harddisk and press Initialization. A new menu shows up showing ATA(S**500418AS)- Internal(500.107 GB). Press OK and a new screen with Model:S**500418AS, Capacity:500.107 GB and Bus: Internal.

Press red button Initialize and it asks me if I really want to initialize blah blah and I choose yes. It starts formating the drive but after 40 secs I get Unable to initialize harddisk. Error:Mount failed.

Go back to Devices Manager and all my previous settings are gone.

What am I missing here ?? Please advise.

In some other forum someone says you need to create and mount a file where you want your recordings to be stored namely /movies before Initialization and aparently it worked but I haven't got the faintest idea how to do so.

Cheers

Thanks
    can you format it on a computer in the required format? If you don't have Linux on it, use a Live CD.

Thanks
    thanks mate but sorry no. I don't have Linux or know anything about it ..

Thanks
    sorted !!

Thanks
    @kota

Are you able to tell us how you have sorted this issue out, please?

Regards,
    MM...

Thanks
    Of course. I should have said it in the first place anyway.

Well I installed the latest official image from dream multimedia just to check if it was a problem with the dream elite one but the same thing happened. After 40 secs, it stopped initializing the hdd so I come to the conclusion it had to be the latter which was to blame.

I removed the esata cable from the docking station and connected the usb cable to my laptop. New device found etc etc but windows dind't recognize the disk. Went to administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk and there it was. Erased the drive volume and that was it.

In the meantime reinstalled the dream elite image back into the box, general set up, channel list, cccam, etc and shut down. Connected the docking station back with the esata cable, swich on and bingo. Hdd detected straight away and best of all fully functional without any doing of my part. No need to mount nor initialize. Just like plug and play. Beats me but it's working fine. So there you have it.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kota
    Erased the drive volume and that was it.
    In what system you formatted: Ext3?, FAT16 or 32?, NTFS?
    I have the same problem but with the image BlackHole.I have a 500GB hard drive but I get Devices Manager Hard Disk: Hitachi HDS72105,Size: 500.107 GB, Mount: NOTMAPPED, Device: / dev / sda{see my Device is dev/sda,not /dev/sda1 as your HDD.
    I do not understand why after formatting the hard drive has 465 GB and when I put on my DM indicate 500,107 just like your Dreambox!Perhaps it might be the problem, don't you think?How do you clear the volume in Disk Management and how it look afterwards? What size has the volume after you've deleted?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Sorry but I've only just noticed your message.

It's been ages since I last dealt with the problem and I really can't remember all the details. I never got any size mismatch with my hdd and I never actually formated it in windows. I guess the box quick formated it in the first place during those 40 secs or so of initialization.

Really sorry I can't help you any further and the only thing I can tell you is that it's been working fine ever since and after loads of image changes.

Cheers

Thanks
    hi satesco, i had the same problem with dream elite image and i found out that the image was corrupt so installed peter pan which worked fine. i then had a power cut and my drive was back to square one, i then formatted into fat 32 connected it to my box and then same problem as before. i remembered i had backed up my box with dcc and so i restored to the date when the 500hd was working ok and voila it was up and running again. so if you have backed up your config, bouquet etc you should have no probs sorting it out.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THE/ACKSTER
    so if you have backed up your config, bouquet etc you should have no probs sorting it out.
    It seems that the problem with my HDD it's on image rather than formatting. I will take into account your advice after I change my HDD. Thank you sincerely for your advice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THE/ACKSTER View Post
    hi satesco, i had the same problem with dream elite image and i found out that the image was corrupt
    Did you download the image from satpimps?

Thanks
    No jimrare, i did not download it from here, i had it installed from the person i bought it from, but to be fair he did say that he did have a few issues with this image before he installed it and gave me the opportunity to install at home or at his workshop. On reflection he must have had a problem with it on his 8000 too as it also kept freezing up.

Thanks
    All images uploaded in this forum have been tested and are working. Just because someone gets freezes, this doesn't mean that the image is faulty or corrupt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giga View Post
    can you format it on a computer in the required format? If you don't have Linux on it, use a Live CD.
    I have used Live CD with Ubunto but can not find any option to format the disk. Any ideas....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amar786 View Post
    I have used Live CD with Ubunto but can not find any option to format the disk. Any ideas....
    Give us some info about your problem, your box, your image. This thread was opened in 2010.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrare View Post
    Give us some info about your problem, your box, your image. This thread was opened in 2010.
    Ok, sorry did not realise it was different for different systems. I have an Azbox Premium HD with E2 & Spaze 2.1 loaded. I can not record because it says the HDD is not mounted but will not let me internalize. The HDD was originally Initialized in Spaze 2.1 and the CrossEPG saves ok on the HDD but when I install RTi Core 1.6 it does not let me same to the disk. Is there a plugin that i can download from TSPanel or something else which will format the disk.

Many thanks

Thanks
    I have no idea how spaze works as i have dumped this stupid box. Try posting at the azbox section (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/forumdisp...wbie-Questions), you will surely get more help there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giga View Post
    can i use susie live cd and try and format hdd im having same problems with nemesis if i put hdd windows xp does not reconize it so i was going to try and format and mount to db 500hd thanks