Thread: spiderbox hd 9000 question

Verified Registered User speedway's Avatar
    Thanks

Icon8 spiderbox hd 9000 question

i am about ready to purchase this box and would like to know what else i require to purchase with it . i am on *** broadband and have a d-link wireless adsl router for my internet a dsl-264dr to be precise. i have been told that i need a powerline twin pack if i am not running a lead from computer to stb.
    also been told to get a wireless ethernet converter . can someone please tell me do i need both or are they the same thing but worded different. please advise
    many thanks to anyone who can help enlighten me on this query please

Thanks
    For hard wired connection you'd run the ethernet lead from the router to the STB not from the PC to the STB.

You can use a wireless ethernet converter like the one in the link below
    Code:
    _http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networking/81607/buffalo-highpower-wireless-ethernet-converter
    For wireless connection, you'd plug an ethernet lead from the spiderbox into the Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter and the Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Converter connects wirelessly to your d-link wireless router.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedway View Post
    i am about ready to purchase this box and would like to know what else i require to purchase with it . i am on *** broadband and have a d-link wireless adsl router for my internet a dsl-264dr to be precise. i have been told that i need a powerline twin pack if i am not running a lead from computer to stb.
    also been told to get a wireless ethernet converter . can someone please tell me do i need both or are they the same thing but worded different. please advise
    many thanks to anyone who can help enlighten me on this query please
    I would think the powerline option are a pair of mains plugs ( homeplugs ) with ethernet , and you plug one in near the router and the other next to the box , connect up with ethernet cables and you have ethernet running over your house mains wiring

or use the wireless option as mentioned by hda5

Thanks
    [QUOTE=hda5;716402]For hard wired connection you'd run the ethernet lead from the router to the STB not from the PC to the STB.

can you tell me please what is the longest length cable you can buy for connecting as you described in your quote above and can you purchase this lead from forum sponsors?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    I would think the powerline option are a pair of mains plugs ( homeplugs ) with ethernet , and you plug one in near the router and the other next to the box , connect up with ethernet cables and you have ethernet running over your house mains wiring

or use the wireless option as mentioned by hda5
    can i ask you which would be the best option out of the two

Thanks
    can you tell me please what is the longest length cable you can buy for connecting as you described in your quote above and can you purchase this lead from forum sponsors?
    If you need a long length then buy a roll of cat 5 cable and hide it in the wall or under the floor.

I put mine in the wall from the lounge to bedroom and fitted a couple of wall sockets so it looks tidy.

Thanks
    I use "Spider Homeplugs". Unfortunately I don't think our sponsor sell them with the Spiderbox, but worth a phone call. IMHO they are the ideal answer if you box is not near your router.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
    If you need a long length then buy a roll of cat 5 cable and hide it in the wall or under the floor.

I put mine in the wall from the lounge to bedroom and fitted a couple of wall sockets so it looks tidy.
    funny enough , so did I

wired always beats any other option hands down

so I would say that in order of preference

1) wired - cat 5 cable installed as described by sonic1 above
    or a very long ethernet cable slightly longer than required ( you can buy 5m or 10m cables for this )

2) homeplugs

3) wireless

you can check the sponsors website in case they sell anything suitable , or places like e bay should have what anyone needs

Thanks
    I was luck ech, I found 2 box's of cable at work so I now have one for spare in the loft.

Will I ever use 50 meters of it ?
    Never LOL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
    I was luck ech, I found 2 box's of cable at work so I now have one for spare in the loft.

Will I ever use 50 meters of it ?
    Never LOL
    Would you have thought 40 years ago that you'd ever want more than 2 plug sockets in your living room?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AM556 View Post
    Would you have thought 40 years ago that you'd ever want more than 2 plug sockets in your living room?
    Who knows bud , I am only 35

But I understand your thoughts

I ask how come they build a house these days with an aerial socket and 2 plug sockets where they intend the TV to go ???

I have added cat 5 around the house and sat cable, removed all coax and the aerial and lastly I have a 10 plug surge protector with every socket full behind the TV :ack2:
    Last edited by sonic1; 15-04-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Satcat View Post
    I use "Spider Homeplugs". Unfortunately I don't think our sponsor sell them with the Spiderbox, but worth a phone call. IMHO they are the ideal answer if you box is not near your router.
    ordered spider homeplugs from another retailer this evening

spiderbox ordered this evening from our forum sponsors

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    funny enough , so did I

wired always beats any other option hands down

so I would say that in order of preference

1) wired - cat 5 cable installed as described by sonic1 above
    or a very long ethernet cable slightly longer than required ( you can buy 5m or 10m cables for this )

2) homeplugs

3) wireless

you can check the sponsors website in case they sell anything suitable , or places like e bay should have what anyone needs
    gone for homeplugs. do you know if the router configurations need to change as my router is set up wired lan or does it need to be changed to wireless wlan for my spiderbox to work successfully with the internet.
    Last edited by speedway; 16-04-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    I have never used hompeplugs but would have thought its wired lan

maybe the instructions or their website will give more details ?

Thanks
    gone for homeplugs. do you know if the router configurations need to change as my router is set up wired lan or does it need to be changed to wireless wlan for my spiderbox to work successfully with the internet.
    I use homeplug with my DM. Just plugged them in and they worked. Did nothing else

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Satcat View Post
    You all ways can Call the Sponsor ...

Some time takes time to update Website...

Tel UK: 0845 838 6107

Thanks
    lee doesn`t sell homeplugs afaik or ethernet adapter, map**** is my best bet, so nearly ordered one 4myself but have to re-think as i,ve 36 volt here,
    at least i got good advice from the sponser not a pressure sale. ps i reckon extra on top of box for connection wireless or other would be £50 tops, patched box and gift gives good value atm but who knows? how long for???

Thanks
    As stated will,
    The gift should last for twelve month's [from entering the reg key's and connecting to the net]..Had my spider since december so the gift run's out in december,using ne*gear hd homeplug's since day one and find they work just fine..
    Still finding some sat's go glitchy [but there you go cant have everything on demand]..
    still got something to watch though patch etc,[ 1 degree west and others]..
    regard's
    terry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKMAN View Post
    You all ways can Call the Sponsor ...

Some time takes time to update Website...

Tel UK: 0845 838 6107
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtell View Post
    lee doesn`t sell homeplugs afaik or ethernet adapter, map**** is my best bet, so nearly ordered one 4myself but have to re-think as i,ve 36 volt here,
    at least i got good advice from the sponser not a pressure sale. ps i reckon extra on top of box for connection wireless or other would be £50 tops, patched box and gift gives good value atm but who knows? how long for???

goldwafers will be selling homeplugs as they are one of the easiest ways to get the job done , if you dont wire it in directly