Thread: ICECRYPT S4000 or Vu+ Duo

Thanks

Question ICECRYPT S4000 or Vu+ Duo

I'm loolking for some unbiased (lol) opion on what to go for next. I've had my AZBox for a while now and I don't see that it's ever going to come right.
    Everyone has been raving about how great the VU+ duo is, but what makes it so much better than the Icecrypt S4000. I've been reading both sections in the forum and don't see the the same sort of bitching and moaning about firmware that we have in the AZ section.
    What is it that makes the VU+ worth £100 more than the Icecryt? Is it build quality or features?

Thanks
    As an Icecrypt owner I'd say that I would expect the VU+ to be more developed than the Icecrypt as it seems to be building on the DM platform and has attracted a lot of image developers.

The Icecrypt on the otherhand is still very much in the development stage and probally can't do as much as the Vu+. So no skins or 3rd party images as yet. It does however connect very well via CCam and is also a £100 cheaper than the VU+.

Finally however, and having never seen a Vu+ I would suspect from what I havwe read of others reviews that the Vu+ is not as good as the Icecrypt in terms of Picture Quality.

Thanks
    VU+ Duo has rumours of a new hardware version coming out in October.

Sounds like Azbox HD saga all over again.

Thanks
    yeah sure

Azbox saga already happened, vu+ saga hasnt happened yet. Thats big difference.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    These box manufacturers are really **** to be honest, now Vu+ Duo does the same thing as Azbox did, revised new box coming out.

That's the reason i am going HTPC i beleive because i am so fed up being dependent on the box manufacturers and Enigma2 has their problems as well even on Dreambox, there are many things about Enigma2 i really hate.

Neutrino is much nicer but isn't ported to Vu+ Duo.

The Icecrypt reminds me of IPBOX 9000HD, isn't it the same hardware just in a different casing?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight R View Post
    As an Icecrypt owner I'd say that I would expect the VU+ to be more developed than the Icecrypt as it seems to be building on the DM platform and has attracted a lot of image developers.

But the rush with Vu+ has finally calmed down, it's not as active as in the beginning and let's see how the box will stand in the end of the year.

The have already revised the box and probably will revise it again in November when modular tuners arrives as option.

And buying the DM8000 is not very smart either, just because you buy the DM8000 all problems doesn't go away, just read the German forums.

One frustrating thing among DM8000 owners is that DMM hasn't released a official modular DVB-S2 tuner for it, and they just keep postponing the release, so you might ask yourself what's the meaning with 2 modular tuner slots when you can't get the proper tuner for it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Likvid View Post
    These box manufacturers are really **** to be honest, now Vu+ Duo does the same thing as Azbox did, revised new box coming out.

That's the reason i am going HTPC i beleive because i am so fed up being dependent on the box manufacturers and Enigma2 has their problems as well even on Dreambox, there are many things about Enigma2 i really hate.

Neutrino is much nicer but isn't ported to Vu+ Duo.

The Icecrypt reminds me of IPBOX 9000HD, isn't it the same hardware just in a different casing?
    Nope completely different hardware.

Unlike the Ipbox the Icecrypt can run Ccam and is very stable with it.

Needs more development though to run as both client and server but it looks like thy'll get there in the end.

Firmware updates are very regular which is promising.

Just needs someone to create a few alternative images and some skins.

HTPC is an option but the frontends are a little limited at the moment although I hear that XBMC are planning on including something in a future build. This coupled with a good sat card could work out well. Probally wont be very wifey friendly though!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight R View Post
    Probally wont be very wifey friendly though!
    Hehehe...the wife option i discarded years ago when i realized my hobbies were more important, and i don't have any children either thank god and you should see how my house looks on the inside, cables, boxes etc...

It would be a nightmare for a wife.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Has anybody looked at the Octagon SF1018... I get loads of emails from their support board with images, plugins and EMU's being released

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I really like the look of Octagon, much nicer than Vu+, but the support and communities i don't know anything about so i can't recommend anything really.