Thread: Is there a way to connect the S4000 to a wireless network?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Is there a way to connect the S4000 to a wireless network?

Hi guys,

Is there any way of connecting the S4000 to a wireless network?
    Anyone had a go at that?

My reason for asking is my internet is so oversubscribed its useless at peak times, my 20mb connection (virgin media) drops to dial up speeds so using cccam is a bit of a problem.
    However the guy next door (bt) does not put a password on his wireless (I'm using it right now in fact) so I have to use his at peak times now.

Sorry for the waffle but if there was a way of using his wireless with my S4000 I would be able to use cccam now, lol.

Before someone asks I have complained and the reply was were are working on the problem, nice huh but its been a few months already.

cheers,
    Mac

Thanks
    are you sure your not being throttled ?
    _http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Thanks
    I'm sure he'll thank you for using his connection ;-)

There's a thread over at fortisusers that says the TP Link USB Wi-Fi dongles TL-WN727N and TL-WN321G will work. No idea how to config etc. Have a read.

Thanks
    ManikM
    No not a throttle issue its just oversubbed in my area.
    Get full 20mb after about midnight and that will work all day till say 5pm but then you hit peak time, youtube, bbc iplayer, kids doing homework etc.
    Virgin media is trying to update network to give MORE bandwidth but that will be in few months.
    It will be the same if I have been downloading or not, a mate round the corner has the same problem, bummer man!

stetford1
    Thanks for the info will look into that. By the way I never use my neighbours wireless for downloading just for general surfing when mine is slow

thanks for the input guys

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mgc_bb View Post
    ManikM
    No not a throttle issue its just oversubbed in my area.
    Get full 20mb after about midnight and that will work all day till say 5pm but then you hit peak time, youtube, bbc iplayer, kids doing homework etc.
    Virgin media is trying to update network to give MORE bandwidth but that will be in few months.
    It will be the same if I have been downloading or not, a mate round the corner has the same problem, bummer man!

stetford1
    Thanks for the info will look into that. By the way I never use my neighbours wireless for downloading just for general surfing when mine is slow

thanks for the input guys
    I notice they have the TL-WN727N at Aria for £8.46 - a decent price if you find enough info to know it will work.

Thanks
    Ordered 1x TL-WN727N for £9.98 inc postage off ****, cheapest price I found as places like aria look cheap but the postage is like £3.99

Anyway, will try it out and post the results plus hopefully a simple guide on how to get it working

cheers,
    Mac

Thanks
    Thanks for the info pointing me in the right direction.
    I can confirm the 727n does work great with the icecrypt!

A simple guide on how to get it working.

1. power down the receiver via rear power switch
    2. plug in the 321n or 727n into the front (for testing) or rear usb (you will have to use an extension lead for the rear as its a wide usb device and the hdmi is right next to it)
    3. power on the reciever
    4. the wifi device should now flash its green light during and after boot up
    5. go to the network settings menu and will now have the option of ethernet of wifi connection.
    6. once you select wifi you have the option to press 'green' button for wifi settings

good done!

In my case as my neighbour has no password on his wifi it connected automatically to his router.

Hope this helps others

cheers,
    Mac