Thread: Panasonic Viera 42" plasma TH42PX71E

Thanks

Panasonic Viera 42" plasma TH42PX71E

Hi All ,

My 2 year , 10 month old Viera TH42PX71E (€1400) has started playing up . On power up from cold the initial image is "darker" than it should be (contrast/brightness ?) . After a short time it recovers and returns to normal . The problem is that it's intermittent . If I leave it off for 2 or 3 days it's more likely to fail . Might be a dry solder joint or a component breaking down .

I'm not taking it to a service centre yet . What I would like to do is write a letter to the main European HQ complaining about the unit . Does anyone know the main address for complaints ?

Thanks

Sammy

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Personally ,I would just leave it .If the problem goes away after a few seconds ,then no need to worry . Your plasma will be out of waranty now , so it'll cost you for someone to look at it . Time to worry is when it goes off altogether .
    Do you know about a service menu on these things ?
    You hold down a button while switching it on , from what I've heard . Dont know what sort of menu though . I've never tried it on mine , I have a TH37 , 7 year old now , pre HD model but still superb picture quality . I've had no problems with either and it's on all the time .

Thanks
    Thanks rickt . Yeah , I'm going to wait till it dies completely . It's just a pain getting 2 and a bit years out of something so friggin' expensive .

Up until this point I've had 15+ out of every CRT TV that I've ever bought . Buy a plasma and bingo . 2 years . I'm going to write to Panasonic anyway complaining about their quality control .

Cheers !

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    The fact that most of us got over 15 years out of a crt tv is probably seen by the manufacturers in this day and age as a disaster for them, Plasmas and LCD's havnt been around long enough for us to know how long they will last.

My local electronic repair shop wont touch most of them, he just fixes power suppllies for them and other ancillary bits.

He doesn't go near projector tvs at all, built in redundancy and no spares after 3 years is probably the manufactures new policy so you are back every 5 years or less for a new one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt View Post
    Your plasma will be out of waranty now , so it'll cost you for someone to look at it .
    I bought my TH42PX700B 01/10/2007. It came with a 5 year guarantee.

@Sammy. What picture setting are you on? if you are on auto try altering it to normal. It may be the light sensor on the front thats faulty (I presume your model has one).
    The sensor only works on auto.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help .

Quote Originally Posted by Satcat View Post
    I bought my TH42PX700B 01/10/2007. It came with a 5 year guarantee.
    Hi satcat . Mine's only has a 2 year warranty . I checked with Panasonic .

Where's the picture setting option ?

When I enter "Menu" and then "Picture Menu" , I've got an option called "viewing mode" . Is that the one ?

Sammy

Thanks

Icon7

u could try getting it done under the sale of goods act as its broken down well before it is expected to. its also under 6 years old. so it may be worth trying.

Thanks
    ssjenkins

When I enter "Menu" and then "Picture Menu" , I've got an option called "viewing mode" . Is that the one

I have the same options on my one m8 ? I Have it set at [ Dynamic ] You have the choice 4 options [ Dynamic , Normal ,Cinema ,Eco ]:respect-050:

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Dynamic is a very high contrast level, it could wear the screen out sooner than the normal level.

Thanks
    TonyO

Dynamic is a very high contrast level, it could wear the screen out sooner than the normal level.
    Only way to get my Panny to Match my[ Sony Bravia] TV , In Picture Quality Seems Worse when I use Freesat on the Panny ? Dark and grainy ? Looks like I have the same problem as [holmroad
    ] Will have to get a firmware upgrade!!!!!!

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125216

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjenkins View Post
    Thanks for all the help .

Hi satcat . Mine's only has a 2 year warranty . I checked with Panasonic .

Where's the picture setting option ?

When I enter "Menu" and then "Picture Menu" , I've got an option called "viewing mode" . Is that the one ?

Sammy
    Yes. choose normal in viewing mode and adjust contrast brightness etc. to your requirements.
    It may be that it is not the sensor thats the problem, but worth trying.
    I had to make the above changes for a different reason. The sensor wouldn't respond to the new energy saving bulbs I fitted, leaving my screen dark at night.

Thanks
    Satcat

Went back to[ Normal ] Myself?? Picture on Freesat much better [ Still playing About ] LOL

Thanks
    Hi again . Mine was already on "Normal" . I don't think I have a light sensor on my model ? Mine is a 2007 model . I'll keep looking .

BTW I'm in Spain and I'm not sure of the consumer rights here . I'll send them a letter first and see what happens .

Sammy

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I've got a TH-37PX70B that came from costco with a 5 year warranty. The screen went within 18 months. In fact my father bought the same tv from the same place within the month and his went down also. Must of been a bad batch. It was 3 week delivery of the new screen.

Thanks

Icon14 SD card

I copied the Panasonic SD card they sent me on my brand new 54" - but that software may not work with older ones - may actually make it worse?
    It certainly sorted mine out with ITV HD - but was never a problem with other HD channels anyway as they are not on the dreaded red button!:respect-055:

Thanks
    make sure you have the correct software, as model software is different
    ie px60,px70,px80,pz70 etc etc

Thanks
    Thanks . It's stopped doing it since the weather got warmer but I'll check the software anyway .

Sammy