Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vu+ duo picture quality

Thanks

vu+ duo picture quality

Can someone tell me if the picture quality of the Vu+ duo especially on sd is as good as the kathrein ufs 910.

i have the kathrein ufs 910 at the moment and the reason i'm hanging on to it is the amazing pq.i need to upgrade now and i.m looking for a receiver that would give the same kind of pq .

any input or recommendations would be much appreciated

Thanks
    anyone???/

Thanks
    I dont have kathrein ufs 910 but I dont think tha VU+ can have an inferior quality of picture. Infact for me its better than my DM 800 as far as the pq is concerned

Thanks
    What TV are you using A?

Thanks
    Samsung LE-A656 FULL HD 100Hz maybe its the HDMI cable which matters dont know

Thanks
    Thanks, sounds like a nice Telly.

I'm really torn with this one.

I would really like another linux box but being a very fussy bugger I kinda need to know if I could live with the PQ. I wasn't impressed with a DM8K in that area.

Trouble is my Amstrad HD box is now suffering slight motion blur that wasn't there before the recent epg upgrade and I'm finding it hard to watch.

I don't suposse you know anyone over near the Harrow area that could offer a demo?

Thanks
    I am really interested in the picture quality of these boxes as well.
    Does anyone have a VU+ and say an 8000 with a good TV combination to give their opinion please?
    I have a ufs910 and an 8000 so can compare them, I know this is subjective but my opinion is that the Kathrein with original firmware HD picture is better than the 8000 yet running E2 images it is noticeably worse. This is from a box costing £240, although it has many other failings, lack of a card reader etc!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    There are lots of complaints about SD quality on different forums, in a Norweigan home theater forum there are loads of complaints saying the SD picture is blurry.

When it comes to HD they say it's ok, nothing more.

I trust what they say as most people there are enthusiasts with high standards and many of them have boxes from IPBox, Dreambox etc to compare with.

This is really one thing that worries me as i considered buying this box.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Here is some posts from the Norweigan forum translated by me.

Likvid wrote:

I have a IPBO***00HD today and it delivers excellent PQ, only problem being that the software is really bad which forced me to sell the receiver.

I've been looking at the VU+ Duo and also the DM800, many comments on the forum suggestsd that the PQ on Vu+ Duo is not good?

How does the DM800 stand against Vu+ Duo in this department? good PQ?

And how good is the DM8000? better?

Digitech answer:

Hello,

I did have a DM8000 a couple a months ago, but i sold it and bought two Vu+ Duo's instead.
    DM8000 is one fantastic receiver, but you pay more than double the price, so it's expected that the PQ should be better than Vu+ Duo, THAT IS NOT THE CASE!

Digitech writes to Marusys in Korea:

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for prompt response and and I would like to express
    my admiration for your technical stuff which solves a lot of bugs in VU+Duo very fast.

Meanwhile, I would like to bring to your attention a widely discussed VU + Duo Twin issue here In Scandinavia , which disappoint many users and potential owners of this receiver brand.

This issue is poor Standard Definition Video ( picture ) quality of Vu+Duo.
    Members of the largest Norwegian satellite foum have compared Vu+Duo Twin brand with several other Linux based HD receivers ( IPbox , Dreambox etc ) and sorry to say , but in their opinion the SD picture quality of VU+ don’t really live to all expectation . The video is blurry and missing depth in colours .
    This is highly discussed on the largest forum for VU+ Duo here :

VU+ DUO Twin Tuner HD PVR DVB-S2

Please, bring this message to your engineers and ask them if it is possible to optimise the video drivers in the next image release ?
    I really hope that you give first priority to this issue , due to the fact that this could really damage VU+Duo reputation.

Einar71 wrote:

No doubt... i have reviewed my DM7020 against the Vu+ Duo.. and with SD channels there is no doubt that the DM7020 delivers a much better PQ.

Even my 66 year old mother could see the difference.

Digitech wrote:

But back on topic to Vu+ Duo and PQ, the pictures on the Vu+ Duo is at least as good as my old DM800HD, i have tested this myself because i have both recievers.

Messus wrote:

You still have not understood what i'm saying here, for most people PQ is the most important attribute when buying a new sat-box, but for other people Enigma2, features and youtube plugins and access to CCcam is more important than picture quality.

No doubt that Enigma2 is a pretty system, but i expected that most people would want better picture quality than a fancy operating system, Enigma2 works pretty good on Ipbox right now.

Let's hope Dreambox will lower their prices, i don't doubt that Vu+ Duo is as good as DM8000 hardware wise, but the picture quality is the most important aspect for me and when i have the Vu+Duo in my hands

i will review it against all my other boxes i have when it comes to PQ.

I can state that IPBOX has incredible PQ and that is very important to me and many others, because i can see that many people complain about Vu+ Duo picture quality, i will not say any further until i have tested it myself.

Messus wrote:

I have now received my Vu+ Duo, with DM800/8000 and also the Vu+ Duo does a really bad job with upscaling and de-interlace SD channels that are transmitted in 576i, and what i've understood de-interlacing is connected to the hardware and not controlled in software, the DM800 has been on the market for while now, so if it was a software problem the DM800 would have been good at de-interlacing by now which it isn't.

My point being, that hardware wise the Vu+ Duo can be compared to Dm800/8000 and that people buying the Vu+ Duo should not have too high expectations on that the receiver will have better PQ in the future with software updates.

For me, the best PQ i get if i set SD channels to 576i and don't let Vu+ Duo de-interlace to 576p, 720p etc....

Compared to my IPBO***00HD the IPBOX does a much better job on with de-interlacing and showing SD channels upscaled to 1080i and de-interlaced to 576p/720p, will do***ent this.

Summary: SD PQ on the Vu+ Duo is looking ok if you output 576i on my Sony KDL-W3000 - Full HD.

Kaon wrote:

Dreambox DM800 had a very bad picture quality, but it has been improved with latest software drivers in year 2010.

aielby wrote:

Hmmm...this is annoying, even my Dreambox 7000 delivered better picture quality, i also had a Dreambox 800 a short period, but that was so bad PQ.

In comparison to my IPBOX there is some blurriness over the picture and some pixelations during transitions in the picture, but the Vu+ Duo looks like an old VHS VCR and the IPBOX looks like DVD.

I must say i was very surprised that the Vu+ Duo can't deliver a better picture than this.

To those who are more technically minded than me, how come it delivers so poor PQ?

Thanks
    Every individual seems to have their own idea as what is good picture quality.

Using my LG LCD TV, the HD picture quality on my Azbox HD is very poor compared to FortecStar Innovation HD, but SD on the Azbox is better than my DM7000.

A lot also depends on what TV you have and if you are using SCART or HDMI, and many people also are connected via AV amps which have upscaling of picture.

You can't really rely on what other people think of the picture quality.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    But there is a pattern in most forums that many people complain about this so there must be a major problem.

I have many other posts i could add above but that would take me the whole day.

Thanks
    Thanks for your input m8's, in an ideal world we could all go somewhere and compare all boxes side by side on a variety of TV's!
    I also think it may be difficult for an owner to give a completely impartial opinion of his/her purchase. Usually people are reluctant to admit they could have made a mistake unless they are very disappointed indeed.
    I have tried to give my honest opinion, even suggesting that my rip off priced 8000 has worse HD picture than my cheap and cheerful kathrein.
    I remember a discussion on another forum with a guy who insisted his receiver had the best picture ever, only to discover he had a 26" TV, with not even a 1920x1080 pixel screen.
    Last edited by crabber; 21-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    I am really interested in the picture quality of these boxes as well.
    Does anyone have a VU+ and say an 8000 with a good TV combination to give their opinion please?
    I have a ufs910 and an 8000 so can compare them, I know this is subjective but my opinion is that the Kathrein with original firmware HD picture is better than the 8000 yet running E2 images it is noticeably worse. This is from a box costing £240, although it has many other failings, lack of a card reader etc!!
    hello crabber

i have the kathrein and the vu+.i can confirm that the vu pq is nowhere as good as the kathrein (any receiver that runs on enigma will never have good pq,dont know why)

i am still hanging on to my kathrein because of its pq and nothing else

funnily you actually recommended the kathrein to me 2 yrs ago.

uki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    hello crabber

i have the kathrein and the vu+.i can confirm that the vu pq is nowhere as good as the kathrein (any receiver that runs on enigma will never have good pq,dont know why)

i am still hanging on to my kathrein because of its pq and nothing else

funnily you actually recommended the kathrein to me 2 yrs ago.

uki

Have u tried e2 on your kathrein ? to see the different PQ ?

Thanks
    Yes the E2 picture quality particularly on HD is worse than the official image, which is stunning considering it was such a cheap box.
    This is a well know problem apparently caused by video drivers, I don't have enough knowledge to do anything about it though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    hello crabber

i have the kathrein and the vu+.i can confirm that the vu pq is nowhere as good as the kathrein (any receiver that runs on enigma will never have good pq,dont know why)uki
    I also suspect this too be true.

My old Cuberevo had fantastic PQ that was miles better than a DM8K.

The PQ on the Cuberevo however, pooped the bed when running E2 and had the same PQ characteristics as the DM8K i.e. motion blur and a lack of resolution. Not specific to just my 42" Panny plasma either as the same poor PQ was noted on a friends plasma too.

My take on all this is that some tv's will not show the differences in these boxes so some users may have different findings. Also, some users are more tolerant of PQ problems and will not be fussed over the differences focussing on the show content and not the PQ.

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to get beyond poor PQ.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight R View Post
    I also suspect this too be true.

My old Cuberevo had fantastic PQ that was miles better than a DM8K.

The PQ on the Cuberevo however, pooped the bed when running E2 and had the same PQ characteristics as the DM8K i.e. motion blur and a lack of resolution. Not specific to just my 42" Panny plasma either as the same poor PQ was noted on a friends plasma too.

My take on all this is that some tv's will not show the differences in these boxes so some users may have different findings. Also, some users are more tolerant of PQ problems and will not be fussed over the differences focussing on the show content and not the PQ.

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to get beyond poor PQ.
    You seem to have the same high standards as me when it comes to picture quality, some people only wants Engima2 and lots of plugins and don't care about PQ.

I also had the Cuberevo aka IPBO***00HD, and the picture was very good on it.

And i stand by you that the PQ was rubbish with Enigma2 for IPBOX, it was blurry and loss of resolution.

I beleive you should maybe look at the Reelbox, all reports i have read people say it's the Rolls Royce of receivers, not only build quality but also picture quality and it seems that you can also add other graphics card to the Reelbox if you don't like the one being delivered as standard.

I am so close to place an order now, just need a little more thinking first but everything suggest that i will go ahead.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Yes the E2 picture quality particularly on HD is worse than the official image, which is stunning considering it was such a cheap box.
    This is a well know problem apparently caused by video drivers, I don't have enough knowledge to do anything about it though!
    Problem is that all video drivers for these receivers on Enigma2 are developed by amateurs and they are not the official video drivers.

Surely we could maybe pay to get the real drivers to be implemented in Enigma2, but it would prolly cost alot.

That's why the picture is not as good as the official images.

Thanks
    I have to agree about E2.

I have a VU+Duo, Cuberevo ( ipbox 9000 ), Cuberevo mini and have used a DB800 and Octagon 918 HD.

Nothing beats the cuberevo when it comes to picture quality but it has to be non E2 firmware.
    I love E2 and use it on my mini too but today I thought I would just have a look at the latest sifteam image and you can real notice the difference.
    The good thing is mgcamd works with CCcam now so I can run mgcamd on cuberevo with sifteam and connect to CCcam server. Just now I am watching Discovery HD and the picture is sh*t hot. SD pictures too are a lot more clearer.
    I can pop next door to the living room and look at the VU+Duo and HD is OK but SD is nothing special.
    Its a shame more people didn't try the Cuberevo ( ipbox 9000 ) because if you are not bothered about fancy plugins then this is a top quality receiver.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,180 Posts
    How do folk compare both HD & SD picture quality of the VU to both the DM800 & DM8000 boxes?

Picture quality on the Cuberevo is superb -watching the skiing on Euroports hD the other week was fantastic

If only DGS could sort out getting more software support for it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast