Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D HD [Sky ]

Thanks

Icon7 3D HD [Sky ]

Well Sky have been testing [ 3D TV ] Looks like it could be a hit ? The 3D TV "S Are about to hit the Market?? Are you saving your [ £ ]UP To bye One??????

Seems to start in April ?? I am thinking about it

Thanks
    More Info ?

Standard skyboxes are simple 2D images, mapped onto a cube so they surround the level. 3D skyboxes are full 3D geometry, and properly parallax as the player moves through the level. Since they are rendered in real time, they scale with the video card resolution and also support real-time shader effects not possible in 2D skyboxes.

The main benefit of using a 3D skybox is that it allows the level designer to make the map look much larger than is possible with the standard world geometry. The largest map that can be made without a 3D skybox is 32768 units on each side. Using a 3D skybox, the map can be extended to 16 times that amount.

Maps of this size are possible because 3D skyboxes are created in the Hammer editor at 1/16 the scale of standard maps. At run time, the engine scales them back up to match the scale of the rest of the map. Not only does this save space in the editor views, it also is much less expensive to compile and render.

Due to their scale, 3D skyboxes have much lower lightmap and texture resolution. This makes 3D skybox geometry less expensive performance-wise than standard world geometry.

3D skyboxes can be used to overcome draw distance limitations, if a low-detail skybox identical to the main map is created. A mod team wanting to do this would have to develop code to ease the transition between map versions.

Basic characteristics
    3D Skyboxes have the following characteristics:

Are constructed (by default) in 1/16 scale in the Hammer editor and then rendered at 16 times size in the engine to match the world geometry.
    Support materials with shader effects such as normal mapping, water, environment mapping, proxies, etc.
    Are non-interactive – players and other world entities cannot enter 3D skyboxes. The 3D skybox is just a visual extension of the map extents.
    Can be constructed with brushes, displacements, static and dynamic props, lights, brush entities, and point entities (such as env_sprite).
    Any models that are placed in the 3D skybox must be authored at 1/16 scale. Standard models (props) are not scaled properly for 3D skybox. Special 1/16 scale versions must be used. For Half-Life 2, these props can be found in the models/props_skybox directory.
    Should not contain info_player_start, NPCs or monsters.
    Have lower lightmap and texture resolution because of the scale at which they are created.
    Must have their own lighting sources, although a light_environment in the non-skybox section will also be used for the 3D skybox lighting.
    Use the sky_camera entity to control how they line up with the non-skybox world geometry.
    3D skyboxes have their own fog parameters, adjustable in the sky_camera entity.
    Geometry in the 3D skybox is not occluded or culled like the rest of the level geometry. Adding lots of detailed brush geometry or models to the 3D skybox, especially with translucent materials, can severely affect performance.
    A map must have a light_environment in it, otherwise models in the 3d skybox will be lit incorrectly. A light_environment in the non-skybox part of the map negates the need for one in the 3D skybox.
    Construction of 3D skyboxes
    A note about the sky_camera entity: point entities do not scale down.
    The most efficient way of creating a 3D skybox that matches or "lines up" with the your current map is to use some of the geometry in the main part of the level. Follow these steps after you've created your main level geometry:

1.Add a sky_camera entity at the world origin (coordinates 0, 0, 0), the center of the map grid. The sky_camera is a reference point used by the renderer to align the 3D skybox with the main part of the map. In other words, it acts as a marker telling the renderer how the 3D skybox's origin and the world's origin relate to one another. You can think of this process as being similar to selecting all the 3D skybox geometry and then aligning the sky_camera entity in that selection with the world's origin (0,0,0). The geometry is translated back to that position in the world. This is the same concept used when the skybox is rendered in the engine.
    2.Select some distinct parts of the level that you can use a guideline for scale and position in the 3D skybox. Common elements to select for this purpose would be some of the larger structures, as well as the walls, cliffs, hills, etc. that define the edges of the map. Make sure you also have the sky_camera you created selected as well.
    Note:It is important not to select any model entities, only brushes. Models cannot be used as reference geometry, because models cannot be scaled down in the Hammer editor.3.Choose Copy from the Edit menu, or hit CTRL-C.
    4.Choose Paste Special from the Edit menu. Set the Number of copies to paste to 1, and all other values to 0. Hit OK. This makes a duplicate of the geometry you had selected.
    5.Turn on Scaling Texture Lock in the toolbar, if it is not already on. Its icon resembles <tl>. This will shrink the textures along with the geometry.
    6.Leaving geometry selected, choose Transform from the Tools menu. Select the radio button next to Scale. Type in a value of .0625 for X, Y and Z. This is the decimal equivalent to 1/16 – the scale of the 3D skybox. Click OK.
    Note:If you want textures on the geometry to scale accordingly, make sure you have texture lock enabled.7.You now have a 1/16 scale version of your reference geometry. Now drag (move) it to another part of the map where you wish build your 3D skybox. It doesn't matter where it is as long as it's not touching any part of the main level geometry area.
    8.Delete the sky_camera entity from the normal world map area you started from. Important: only the sky_camera entity in the 3D skybox should remain in the map.
    9.Build your 3D skybox geometry around the reference geometry, using it as a guide. You can build skybox geometry that meets the reference geometry seamlessly. You can use brush and displacement geometry. Models can also be placed, but since the 3D skybox is at 1/16 scale, any models must also be at 1/16 scale. The model hl2\models\props_skybox\coast01.m dl is a sample model in 1/16 scale. Try positioning the 3D view camera near the height of the player. This will give you a good idea of how the 3D skybox will look when it's rendered in the engine.
    10.Add a hollow cube of brushes around your reference geometry and assign the tools\toolsskybox material to it. The standard 2D cubic skybox will appear on these surfaces. The 3D skybox area must be sealed with these brushes.
    11.When you're done, delete or hide all of the reference geometry except for the sky_camera entity. You may find that it work best to add the reference geometry to its own visgroup so that it can be toggled on and off or re-placed. Just make sure you turn it off before you save and compile the level, or it will be compiled into the 3D skybox.
    12.Your original map still needs the tools\toolsskybox material wherever you want to see the sky, however it will now show the 3D skybox as well as the 2D skybox (which is what it did previously).

Thanks
    More Info ? This is the [LG ] Version:respect-048:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/.../579/lg-3d.jpg

Thanks
    More Info

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/24237/lg-3d/
    Last edited by RABBY; 01-02-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    only just got a hd tv,so i wont be jumping on that band wagon,just waiting for the hollow sweet degin tv like starr trek ,so i can hump that borg lady ,ooohhhh yesss please:respect-057:

Thanks
    BOOGIBEAR

I no what you meen m8

But this is the Future of TV ?? I am Defo going to get one of these TVs? See everyone spending £800 On a Dreambox?? Looks like they will have to pay to get the Next Gen:sifone:

Thanks

Question Specs

Doesnt matter HOW advanced these new tellies are supposed to be - they STILL need extra specs to watch in 3D!
    Do people REALLY want to have to do that?:respect-055:

Thanks
    I have read unless you sit 90° to the TV you won't get the full effect unless you have at least 50 inch screen and a long viewing distance.

If you already wear glasses then how do you wear the 3D glasses on top of your normal ones?

I hear that Panasonic only supply one pair of glasses and a spare pair is around £60 -£70.

The cheapest 3D plasma TV's will probably be around the £2 -£3,000 price mark.

I don't really see the point for home 3DTV in it's present form as you get much better effect at the cinema on a much larger screen.

I will be looking for a new TV this year, but I don't think it will have 3D though.

LG already sell professional 3D screens, and the 42 inch one is £5,000 plus!

Banned
    Thanks
    not for me just got hdtv i not spend any more any way how long can you watch 3d tv without doing any harm to your eyes or brain watching to much of normal tv can harm your eyes they say give a couple of year and there will be someone takeing someone to court for cross eyes or some brain related thing

Thanks
    xanadu

I see you on about [ Panasonic TVs ]I Will not bye another one m8[ Over rated ] As you no I have the Freesat 42" Model ?My Sony Bravia 40"LCD [ Blows this away in picture quality ]

Both are 1080p [Panasonic] Is the plasma ? SONY WINS

Thanks
    Just seen one feature on 3DTV (HEN) at the CES.......

Will consumers buy it?

The question many CES pundits left with is whether people actually want this. The first drawback a 3D TV has is the need to wear glasses. The sheer weight of the glasses, as well as how inappropriate they are for social viewing may make these displays undesirable. The second drawback is the discomfort many viewers feel when viewing 3D TV, ranging from dizziness to extreme cases of nausea. This discomfort is felt from watching a two hour long movie, can you imagine how bad it would be if this were to happen day in day out for 5 hours or more each day?

Thanks
    i get a headache after watching 3d movie in the flicks:iagree:,can you imagine watching a ****o in 3d,be more like a horror film:respect aahhhh-:respect-069:

Thanks

Exclamation Specs

In my opinion it will NEVER take off until tellies are able to project 3D without the extra need for specs!
    I hear Philips are already experimenting, but may be YEARS away!:respect-050:

Remagen [zGemma 2S, Vu+ duo, SS1, SS2HD, Foxsat 1000s & Foxsat HDR]
    Thanks
    If you've got to wear specs they might as well be personal TVs (sometimes called Eye-Theatre). That way you can get true 3d.

ATM the personal TV specs are quite low res but it would be far cheaper to increase them than go for large LCD or plasma TVs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Doesnt matter HOW advanced these new tellies are supposed to be - they STILL need extra specs to watch in 3D!
    Do people REALLY want to have to do that?:respect-055:
    ----
    The Answer from me is NO

@Rabby

Seems like you got to much Money from the last Bank Payout :respect-051:

Some of us only have enough to get through the week. :nopity:

And HD+ will be the same FLOP.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    The 3dtv revolution could get messy, turns out there are 2 formats. 1 requires polorized glasses, the other shutter glasses. Sky have gone the plorized route which is the cheaper option but isnt full HD. it uses 2 images each 960x1080. Will Bluray use polorised or shutter glasses? Shutter glasses all the way so its 1080p pukka 3D. If Not carefull you might just be wasting a load of doh on that new 3DTV :(

The Polorised 3DTV tvs aint compatible with the Shutter glasses 3DTV's but i hope the latter can handle both other wise there will be alot of ****ed of punters :(
    Last edited by 3tv; 14-02-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Rabby...you know yer sh1t on telly's.

If you had a £600 budget, what would you get?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billybot View Post
    Rabby...you know yer sh1t on telly's.

If you had a £600 budget, what would you get?
    depends what screen size you want? To apreciate full HD you need to be looking @ 42"+

Thanks
    billybot

Just Wait for Now m8 ??? Lots of new things comming out ? Likes of [ Freeview HD ] Looks likes of Currys ect ect are selling TV*S Cheap the Now , Getting rid of old stock!!!

Personally I would not bye nothing[ NEW ] Wait a few Months

Thanks
    This is a bargain for [£649.00 ] [ LG 50PS3000 50" 1080p Plasma TV ] Iff you cannot wait??????

From currys [http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/621926]

The 50" HD Ready 1080p PS3000 delivers superior 600Hz sub-field driving technology to eliminate motion blur, perfect for watching sport and movies
    2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast
    600hz
    Built-in digital TV tuner
    3x HDMI, 2x SCART, 1x Component, 1xPC
    Dual XD Engine :respect-048:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast