Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pubs Then And Know. !!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Where I live there has been a smoking ban for some time now...
    I have only noticed this, going out is not as fun anymore...
    However I don't smell like an ashtray either...

I'm a non smoker and has always been, however I don't like bans...

Thanks
    should have a smoking pub and a non smoking pub,then it'd' be your choice too go in or not go in the doors for a pint,what happened to democracy,freedom of choice ehhh??lets have a wacky backy pub n all,go too it at the end of the night

Thanks
    I'm a non-smoker but agree with this.

There should be designated smoking pubs where upon entering you're in effect signing a disclaimer.

Thanks
    The smoking ban was not the real killer of pubs, sky high tax and supermarkets selling beer for the same price of water.

Just before Christmas I was stuck at the lights near Wigan ( this is norm town is f**king nightmare to get in to ) and kept seeing all these people walking pass carrying 15 pack of Carlsberg, young, old, people in suits, even medical stafff. When I got round the corner big bill board outside Tesco saying 15 cans for £6.99. How can a pub match that ?
    Plus it safer to saty home and have a drink, you don't have to worry about some knob smaking you or putting a knife in to you.

Some pubs are doing really well near me but they all have one thing in common and that is they server good quality food for a good price and that is the way forward. The days of the of the working mans pub are gone. I past one of these pubs last night at around 22.30 and not a single sole was in and this was on the main road.

I'm only 34 but remember about 1993-95 I use to finish work and go for a pint in the Stocks or the Bull in Walkden and would only pay about £1.05 for a pint of bitter, I bet its at least double that now.

Thanks
    I'm not sure it was just a single factor that has killed the British pub culture, but a series of changes.

• Drinking and driving becoming socially unacceptable
    • Beer prices up due to duty and tax
    • Beer prices up due to the "BSkyB Tax" - if you don't have the footy, you lose business
    • Smoking ban
    • Pubs becoming more anti-social as pish-headed yobs have taken over city centre pubs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbleu500 View Post
    I'm not sure it was just a single factor that has killed the British pub culture, but a series of changes.

• Drinking and driving becoming socially unacceptable
    • Beer prices up due to duty and tax
    • Beer prices up due to the "BSkyB Tax" - if you don't have the footy, you lose business
    • Smoking ban
    • Pubs becoming more anti-social as pish-headed yobs have taken over city centre pubs

I think you summed it up well m8.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjiver View Post
    I stopped using pubs years ago because of the smell of tobacco. I do go now. Because most pubs are "foodies" now they should survive. The empty pubs round here are usually the old "workmans spit and sawdust types". The fresh air this time of year will probably improve the health of those standing on the doorstep.

even food pubs are stating to shut near me

as for Pubs becoming more anti-social as pish-headed yobs have taken over city centre pubs
    it is illegal to be ****ed in a public house
    Last edited by umgum; 23-01-2010 at 08:46 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It used to be that the only things a thousand years old in a village were the pub and the church. Basically because that was all there was to do, (get drunk then pray for forgiveness).
    Now there are choices (except for smokers). Plus if you have too many butchers, grocers, or any other business,s in a town some will go under. Pubs are no different, too many pubs, not enough customers.

Thanks
    Up until ten years ago I had smoked for just over fifty years.

Now in the end stages of Emphysema I find it easier to breathe if I go into the local pub instead of the park .......... the air is fresher.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano View Post
    The smoking ban was not the real killer of pubs, sky high tax and supermarkets selling beer for the same price of water.

Just before Christmas I was stuck at the lights near Wigan ( this is norm town is f**king nightmare to get in to ) and kept seeing all these people walking pass carrying 15 pack of Carlsberg, young, old, people in suits, even medical stafff. When I got round the corner big bill board outside Tesco saying 15 cans for £6.99. How can a pub match that ?
    Plus it safer to saty home and have a drink, you don't have to worry about some knob smaking you or putting a knife in to you.

Some pubs are doing really well near me but they all have one thing in common and that is they server good quality food for a good price and that is the way forward. The days of the of the working mans pub are gone. I past one of these pubs last night at around 22.30 and not a single sole was in and this was on the main road.

I'm only 34 but remember about 1993-95 I use to finish work and go for a pint in the Stocks or the Bull in Walkden and would only pay about £1.05 for a pint of bitter, I bet its at least double that now.
    Double if it's a cheep booser, 2.9-3.5 times that in most. your lucky to get a pint under £3 now.

Thanks
    been a landlord for 3 years now after taking over my local and enjoyed every minute cos it was something i always wanted to do (had to give me normal job up after 23years at the same firm cos of the hours)
    but the tie is also killing pubs ,i can get a keg £50 CHEEPER if i buy out from bookers etc so punch/enterprize etc have thereself to blame for being so fooking greedy as for sly i asked them for a trial period they said no and it was £13000 a year for the sport package so i got art for £150 then digitalb £200 a year now after being warned a few times i no longer show it
    but 50 pubs a week closing and many more to follow 1 day we will all be drinking in them spoons places everyone moans to me about

Thanks
    I smoked for 30 years and there is nothing wrong with my LUNG

As for real ale tried Pendle in local Weatherspoons , Looked rotten so I said to barman this beers very cloudy ,He answered /.....what do you want for £1.65 f*****g thunder and lightning .
    No I aint going back
    Last edited by cranlor; 24-01-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    i don't mind paying £2.65 for a good pint of fullers (london pride/porter)etc down my village pub ?
    i blame the gov and know one else.
    high tax, even when they can see pubs closing left, right and centre, when they should be focused on the real problems with under age drinking/binge drinking culture = the super market.(asda 36cans for £16 at xmas)

Banned
    Thanks
    nowt wrong with supermarket can prices m8y - if i'm supping at home - don't see why i should be subsidising brewers pubs & overheads or phoney gov taxes for pi$sheads & lager louts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12