Thread: Digital projectors ?

Thanks

Digital projectors ?

Hi for many years i have given a slide talk using ancient methods ie. slides and projector i now have the oppitunity to purchase a digital projector and give talks via a laptop, however i have never used this type of equipment so can forum give me any tips for what i should be looking for in both projector or laptop. Best johnheny

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    The most important thing is the light intensity. Anything less that 2000 ANSI lumens and you will be disappointed.

Many cheaper units quote high resolutions but have a native image of 800 x 600 (VGA). If you can afford it go for 1024 x 768 (XGA) as a minimum. For lectures the 4x3 format is adequate and widescreen is not ideal.

For giving lectures then refresh speeds are not so important unless you want to show fast moving sport videos as well.

The big downside is the bulb cost - often half of the original cost after a mere 2000 hours.

The screen resolution of the laptop should ideally match that of the projector. And, although I hate Microsoft, Powerpoint software does have everything you need for seemless talks.

Thanks
    Detlef thankyou very much for your help and explaining in such detail, alot of the talks i do are in small village halls in the dead of winter so light intensity is a must as sometimes they request i project on to very large sreens at some distance. On some of the slides i want to first show it as a slide but then run it as a film ie " this is what we do with the vessel now but why not take a trip " (sailing on an old cargo vessel) which in most cases is not that fast moving so i will look for decent refresh speeds for the film clips. At present i use an antique projector it is called " An Ellectric " built in the states all metal casing with a radiosonic hand control real quality build and i have never had to change the bulb and that is over twenty years since doing talks. So do hope i dont have to change bulbs many times if expensive in digital projector. Ref the software i looked at powerpoint which is on my main computer to see if i could put together a talk the truth is i did not do very well at all seems abit complicated. Anyhow thanks again much appreciated. best johnhenry

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi johnhenry,

You may also need to do a web search on "projector throw calculator" to make sure the projector you buy can work at the distances you need.

I would then advise talking with suppliers to verify if it is what you need, as the majority of modern projectors may be designed for home theatre applications (= short throw).

Powerpoint can indeed do everything you need. It's a bit of a learning curve