Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council inflexibility

V.I.P
    Thanks

Council inflexibility

At the beginning of December I invested some money and had to take proof of address to the bank. I took my council tax bill. Subsequently when I went to pay it I couldnt find it. So it went out of my head. I got a reminder threatening action if I didnt pay up. Over Xmas that went out of my head too. (After 60 some brains turn to porrage)
    I found it at the last moment but couldnt get through to pay it. Next day I rang to pay and found I had got £50 added. Told them I had paid for 40 years so didnt I deserve a break. Answer was no chance. I said my mate who has never worked or paid council tax does,nt have the opportunity to pay late as he does,nt pay anything is that fair?.
    However a while ago I wrote a snotty letter to my bank complaining about their phone service five minutes after I put the phone down from the council I got a letter giving £50 ex gracia payment from the bank.!!
    I have often found coincidences like that pop up where money is concerned. Strange.
    Moral is I suppose pay bills on time, or dont bother working.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Oldjiver - don't get me started !!

I've a headstart on you of about ten years and have always saved and paid taxes on time and have rarely had any debts. On the few occassions I've wanted help or consideration from the council, job centre or bank the response has always been negative.

If we do come back in another life then the only work I will do is "working the system" to have a comfortable stress free life.

It's easy to say that, but in reality.......................... .....

Thanks
    Sorry to read your tale oldjiver. I have been through similar experience(s) so I can understand the frustration in this. I do know that the Council Tax officers are allowed to exercise a fair degree of discretion in their dealings in genuine cases.

It would pay you to write a courteous letter siting compassionate grounds rather than confrontational. At the same time if you request the facility to pay in future by direct debit (a sweetener for them) it will mean less hassel in your life too.
    I hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Power Bank

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Non payment of UK Council Tax is now a Criminal Offence.

It was elevated from a Civil Debt some while ago so reminders shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks
    mmmm, I was going to type something, but Echelon would ban me !.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts

Exclamation Likewise

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
    mmmm, I was going to type something, but Echelon would ban me !.
    Hmmmm - LIKEWISE!!

Thanks
    Not sure if it applies everywhere, but council tax is contracted out to a 'for profit company' down here in the west country. Late payment is just another excuse to boost their profits.

Thanks
    It's easy.....get yourself comfortably well off and get the fook out of this god forsaken country, where there's far too many takers and not enough givers.

The 80's policies of self self self and sod society has spawned a generation of horrible hoodied retards who's complete lack of communication and social interaction will spawn the next generation of utter s***.

rant over

Thanks
    The 80's policies of self self self and sod society has spawned a generation of horrible hoodied retards who's complete lack of communication and social interaction will spawn the next generation of utter s***

you talking about mps again ?

Thanks
    council are a law ontoo themselves,i realy realy_HATE_ the tossers,next councilor that comes round my house ime gona #### the#### ## s##t out of him,better off in clink,but i dont want to burden you coz were all in the same boat arnt we,a sinking one

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlef View Post
    Non payment of UK Council Tax is now a Criminal Offence.

It was elevated from a Civil Debt some while ago so reminders shouldn't be ignored.
    ??????
    what you people like , the laws in this country are total rubbish the goverment are changeing the laws like they are a party game. oldjiver should of been give a pass .( you only have to looks at the state of the country this pass week school closed peope haveing so many problem what the hell are we paying our council tax for so some one in a high place can have a villa in the south of france and a 8 bedroom six barthroom 6 car garage. it make me sick it time the people stood up snd took back this country.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Bank View Post
    Sorry to read your tale oldjiver. I have been through similar experience(s) so I can understand the frustration in this. I do know that the Council Tax officers are allowed to exercise a fair degree of discretion in their dealings in genuine cases.

It would pay you to write a courteous letter siting compassionate grounds rather than confrontational. At the same time if you request the facility to pay in future by direct debit (a sweetener for them) it will mean less hassel in your life too.
    I hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Power Bank
    I would go along with this. Just before Christmas I wrote an email to the council on behalf of someone who was also late paying his council tax and had been subsequently issued with a summons and costs. The email was nice and polite and the council replied by saying that they would refund all costs! I think they do need any such requests in writing but it certainly can work.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    perhaps they read this post and thought they would get some back before you did ,

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123788

Thanks

Icon10

Well done cosworth4x4 - a good one.

Power Bank

Thanks
    I have just had the same, final reminder when i had not got the first. I rang them and they said well we sent it so thats all we have to do. The only way they would consider any other payment was by direct debit. There was no way i would give my bank details so i have been in today and paid it.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    FXman,
    Used some spare time today instead of staring at the snow.
    Wrote a very humble letter to the council tax chief asking for my money back. Layed it on a bit which I am not used to as I dont seek sympathy normally.
    Cosworth 4x4
    While I was in the mood I wrote to the council highways legal dept reminding them of their duty to safely maintain the verges and claiming damages to recover my £75.

WATCH THIS SPACE!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    you will probably get it, but they will get it back as every claim has to be payed for somehow ie up goes youre concil tax next year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjiver View Post
    FXman,
    Used some spare time today instead of staring at the snow.
    Wrote a very humble letter to the council tax chief asking for my money back. Layed it on a bit which I am not used to as I dont seek sympathy normally.
    I've got a good feeling about it. Good Luck!

Thanks
    WIRRAL COUNCIL – Admits that Council Tax is Unlawful and Sets a Legal Precedent...........lol

hxxp://www.nocounciltax.com/?p=71&cpage=2#comment-423

V.I.P
    Thanks

Icon8

Got letter from council today, turned my request down flat Said "Council cannot put itself in a position where procedures are not followed".
    Been searching the internet for ways to get the swines, but they have it all wrapped up if you are the kind of person who worked and saved and always paid.
    Should be used to this kind of thing by now. Thanks for all the sympathy guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast