Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: positioner Problems

Thanks

positioner Problems

up to Now i have bin using an old Manhatten analogue with built in positioner for years.
    To move my dish which has just Knackered up.
    ive never moved my dish using the the hummy.
    What do i need.
    cheers.

Thanks

Positioner

I've never used any system other than DiSEqC 1.2 with my Hummy. I have a Manhattan DiSEqC 1.2 motor, which is just plug and play via the RF between the antenna and STB. DiSEqC has to be enabled via the menu, but the handbook has reasonably good instructions. I don't know how the system works if you don't have a DiSEqC motor.

Thanks
    whats knackered up your dish and motor or the manhattan?

if its the manhattan you can replace this witha 36v positioner V Box is one such device the hummy sends a diseqc signal to the v box and the v box moves the dish

there are alternatives to the v box as well just have a google

Thanks
    cheers for reply, The Motor is ok
    just the manhattan i cant go east to west
    unless i reverse the wires on the the back of the manhatten
    then i can go west to east if you know what i mean.
    ive had it about 15 to 20 years. i think its had its day.
    i was thinking about buying a vbox.

Thanks
    hi marco,
    thats the setup i have, a vbox mrk2, does the job just fine
    voith

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by voith driver View Post
    hi marco,
    voith

Hi voith,

what is a vbox mrk2?

Thanks

Thanks
    hi caribe,
    long time no speak, it is a stand alone diseqc 1.2 positioner, my one is manufactured by superjack, it takes the diseqc commands from the humax and translates it to speak to a jack, the mark 2 does it all automatically.

hope this helps
    voith

Thanks
    hi caribe,
    long time no speak, it is a stand alone diseqc 1.2 positioner, my one is manufactured by superjack, it takes the diseqc commands from the humax and translates it to speak to a jack, the mark 2 does it all automatically.

hope this helps
    voith
    Thanks very much voith for your explanation. Very clear as always. Does it help to improve performance if you have a diseqc motor or is it only for conventional motors?

I'm having some problems lately with some satellites and I don't know whether it is the motor or the receiver. Sometimes I don't get any signal and I have to do some fine tuning, with 8W, 12.5W, 15W.

Thanks again voith

Thanks
    hi caribe,
    no, its only for conventional 36v jacks, you would not need the v box for a diseqc 1.2 h-h mount, the humax can drive this with no problem.

the benifit of the v box is it gives you the ability to work a dish greater than 90cm which is the limit for most h-h mounts, some do say they can work slightly bigger dishes but you are on the limit, and it does really depend on your windage at your position.

when i use the humax its not unusual for me to have to fine tune, but to be fair i think the swivel on the jack is a little tight, i would hazard a guess that your problem is tired gears, as its unusual for the humax to drift.

all the best
    voith

Thanks
    Thanks very much voith. I guess I'll have to live with it. It's kind of weird, sometimes if I move from 1W to 8W it shows no signal, so I go all the way to hispasat and then come back to 8W, and I get it ok. Sort of like it works better from west to east than the other way around.

Take care.

Thanks
    1.2 m is the maximum recommended size for my motor and, until recently, I've had no problems with moving the dish or tuning. I'm in the lee of a hill that shields me from westerlies and south westerlies, so windage isn't much of a problem.

However, my system recently crashed when the Hummy's PSU burned out. I've had it replaced and have reprogrammed the STB. It all seems to be working properly, but I can't get the dish to move. I've tested the motor, and it runs from an independent power supply. The Hummy is putting out the required voltage, so I'm not sure if the problem is in the programming or the hardware in STB or motor unit. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    cheers for replys,vbox working ok with hummy.
    did have a few problems but then went into the hummy menu and stored positions

Thanks
    hi wolsty,
    i take it that you checked the output voltage at the socket, so the only thing I can say, is check the antenna plug to see if it has pulled free inside.

as you say some motors size limit is 1.2m but you do take a chance, i had one on my 1.2 and it was in a force 5 (not too bad) i was moving the dish, and realised i was going the wrong way, and i reckon i twanged it by choosing to go the other way too fast, and stripped the gears.

oh just a thought, check that somehow you have not switched off the motor control in the settings.

i am getting a bit rusty but these are my thoughts

all the best
    voith

Thanks
    Hello Voith

Satellite interests have been overtaken by other distractions in the last year or so and I've only just found time to do a bit of tinkering. A techie friend did the tests and measured the voltage at the end of the co-ax where it plugs into the motor, so we're confident that the STB is functioning. What we're wondering about is the signal sent by the DiSEqC software to govern the movement of the motor. If the hardware in the motor housing is not passing a current, then it's not surprising that the motor isn't responding. I'm inclined to follow your instructions for a spring clean of the Hummy and see if starting from scratch will fix the problem.

Good to chat again.

Wolsty

Thanks
    hi wolsty,

if your techy was measuring at the end of the lead he would have been measuring the diqesc anyway, cos if there is no voltage you are on target or not moving, and if 14? or 18v (for hor or vert channels) its sending the message, so basically if you have voltage up there when trying to move the dish its ok.

another thought would be if you have used one of the new channel settings lists the dish might have to be tuned in anyway as they might not be in the same order as pets used to be, and they might not have the motor switched on anyway.

have you tried moving the dish with the manual tuning

voith

Thanks
    Thanks, Voith. Very helpful.

I can produce 14V or 18V by switching channels, so I'm relieved to know that DiSEqC is working on the Hummy. I can now concentrate on the motor hardware (no sign of any damage to the components or pcb) and stb firmware. I have used some of the newer settings, but reverted to your latest adapted PET version. Given your comments, though, I'm even more minded to do a spring clean. I'll make sure the motor is switched on and try manual tuning, as you suggest.

Wolsty
    Last edited by wolsty; 17-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    hi wolsty,
    if you use my adapted settings, you will need to use the modified for mounts version, this one will make sure the motor will be switched on, its a bit old but at least it will set the box up, though you will/might still need to finetune or even fully tune some sats depending on how yours was already setup, but then again a spring clean would help in that as well.

but please remember i am rusty, as, as with you i have been elsewhere since we lost all the good bits
    all the best
    voith

Thanks
    Hello Voith

It'll be a while before I can spend time on this, as we're preparing for a family wedding on 4 December, but as soon as I can grab a free afternoon, I'll spring clean the Hummy and reinstall all the firmware and settings, including your adapted PET version. One thing about settings that does give me trouble is the order in which satellites are stored in positions 1 and 2 How should I set up the box to be compatible with the PET settings?

Wolsty

Thanks
    hi marco,
    voith

voith Thanks for info
    All working ok m8.

:respect-056:

Thanks
    hi marco,
    glad its working m8, have fun
    voith

hi wolstie,

if you install the MODIFIED FOR MOUNTS version, it will install everything as per the standard diqesc list, i did this so that everyone had a basic standard to work with,if your tuned in sats are different, then it will be just a case of working though the list and retuning, you tune to the settings list and not the other way around.

though to be fair as i do not do them any more as the original pet123 are not posted these days, you may want to rearrange things to suit which ever settings you are using now

hope you have a good wedding,

all the best
    voith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast