Thread: Time to Upgrade/Replace

Thanks

Time to Upgrade/Replace

Hi Guys,

I am a new member having just re-joined (after not being around for a few years and could'nt remember my log in lol), I am asking for some advice please.

I am not new to motorised sat equipment but I haven’t updated things in a while other than my receiver which is now a Technomate 6900HD Combo. The rest of my equipment is a Triax 90cm dish and a SG2100 mount (I think it was a Moteck).

The dish etc was installed back in 2004 and has provided great service since, however my dish has now started rusting quite badly and paint is starting to flake off so I’m looking to upgrade.

Also I have a problem but I’m not sure what’s causing it, my dish will turn from 7 degrees west (Nilesat) but when I when it gets to a point just past 16 degrees east it stops (although it still looks as though its moving on my screen). I don’t know why this has happend but it’s been like it for about 2 months now so I think maybe it’s time to change the motor along with the dish?

My main question is, which of the following dishes would you choose as my new dish and why (cost is not an issue, I want the best):

1. Triax 1.1m
    2. Gibertini 1m
    3. Orbital 1m
    4. Channel Master 1m

Am I right in thinking the Channel Master is heaver so will need to upgrade to 36v ?

I watch 1 degree west quite a lot and would like to maybe see if it would be possible to pick up more channels on Nilesat with the above set up?

Any comments and advice will be greatfully received.

Thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by Gadget Man; 27-10-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Hi, it may be that the east limit is on at 16e, try checking if this is set..I had similar problem a while back..

Ps as to dish, i use an orbital..

mike

Thanks
    Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

Do you mean an east limit set within my receiver settings (as I can't find any such setting)?

I used to go to 28 degrees all the time previously to watch itv HD and BBC HD and its now bugging me that I've lost them on my HD sat receiver lol

Thanks
    I have a Channel Master 1.2M at home in my back yard been using it for a number of years great dish that offers great reception one of the the best out there in my opinion very few that can rival it. If you are buying a new receiver you will need a V Box 2 to power the dish's motor as the channel master dish needs a heavy duty motor to turn it, normal diseqcs motors won't cut it due to weather conditions plus a insurance risk so I always prefered the H2H or 36 volts motors they are the best in my opinion and more stable.

Secondly get the motor changed I think it is buggered so have it checked out first before buying a new one could be a wiring fault mate.

Hope my answer has helped Gadget Man.

Regards,

sstylianou1976

Thanks
    I have 2 Channel Master dish's. The down side is they are very heavy and need to be ground mounted to get the best from them, and are not cheap.
    The plus side both mine are now about 20 years old, are as good as the day new and will do more than another 20years, you get what you pay for.

Thanks
    Unfortunatley I can't ground mount my dish as I live in a mid town house and it needs to be at the front of the house (I have no garden at the front). The dish is mounted on the front of the house between the ground and 1st floor.

Cost is not a problem, I will pay for the best however my understanding is that if I go for a CM I will also have to buy lots of additional items too and would it be worth that for the extra performance compared to the other dishes listed (or that anyone can suggest)?

Thanks
    if money is not a prob, have you considered the Wave frontier dish, which is designed to hold multiple lnb's therefore you don't need a motor and changing between sats is instantaneous. Expensive, but I have seen some very positive comments

regards gray

Thanks
    Another suggestion 1m Funke, lightweight aluminium so less stress on the motor, well made and can't tell the difference in signal level/quality from my old lenson heath 1m (which was and still is one of the best 1m) although it's noticeably smaller - Funke max 99cm Lenson max 105cm. just make sure you have a decent lnb and replace your cable if it's been up a few years and you'll be fine

Thanks

Solved motor problem

Well I have solved the motor problem

I had a day off today so took time to check all connections and disconnected and reconnected everything and reset the motor and reset my east and west limits and now everything is working fine once again.

However having had a closer look at my dish, I'm not sure if you would agree that it needs replacing?
    I have enclosed a couple of photo's, would you suggest replacing it due to where the rust is?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Is that just rust peeling at the bottom or has it fractured ?

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure if it's cracked or just flaking as I didn't want to touch it to see.
    I'm hoping it's just flakng but it looks quite bad up there