Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sony plasma need software upgrade for freeview.

Thanks
    Giga

just in case you missed this one

Did miss that one m8 ? But still strange How the Transmitters are going to cope with HD Channels???????

Thanks
    mpeg4 has more space then mpeg2 within the same channel.
    Will high-definition television (HDTV) be available on Freeview?

Freeview viewers across the UK will be able to watch high definition TV channels possibly as early as 2009.

New technology and a reorganisation of the way channels are allocated on digital terrestrial television platform will free up space for four Freeview HDTV services.

The first three HD channels will be available as digital switchover takes place in the Granada TV region in the north-west of England and subsequent regions from 2009. All four HD channels should be available across the country by the time digital switchover is due to be completed in 2012.

Viewers who want to watch the new channels will have to buy a new set-top box incorporating the superior MPEG-4 rather than MPEG-2 compression technology. MPEG-4 is twice as efficient as the MPEG-2 standard , while a new European transmission standard (DVB-T2) will increase capacity by 30%. These boxes are still being developed and discussions are taking place on when they will be available to buy in shops.

Freeview looks forward to working with the industry to bring this exciting and new TV viewing experience to the 18 million homes using the Freeview service.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie View Post
    mother-in-law has the same problem with a kd32nx100u crt model

What site did you get your software upgrade info from? Hers is v3.5 and i'm sure it has not picked up any ota u/g - despite being switched to on to auto receive

What sony number to get free u/g cam from?

phone number 0845 6000 124.

tell them you bought the tv as digital ready to find out now it dont work , i had the cam today youre model was not listed but possibly a different upgrade.

as to my upgrade it looks like the cam was allready used as it was not recognised on inserting it , they have told me to send it back and they will send me out another ,it looks like they are a one time use only and they ask for it back provided you with a pre paid envelope.

Thanks
    @cosworth4x4

just in case you missed this one: BBC wants freeview hd-content encrypting

Ya its Called Capping

a lot of people will be caught out on this one.

:o21:

Thanks
    you allready now they have in reallity allready done that on freesat.
    :respect-054:

Thanks
    well at last i got my update , to be honest not impressed , ok untill 10 pm then the picture so bad on itv its unwatchable , other 2 tv's feed of same ariel via splitter amp all good , im going to move one of the other tv's to sony feed just to check it aint a cable problem.

time then i think to get in touch with sony again, have they addmitted its thier problem by now sending me a cam to update ????????????

£2000 for a tv that i cant watch itv after 10 pm

wow they have done me a favour, :congratulations-008

i have to laugh or ill cry .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    well at last i got my update , to be honest not impressed , ok untill 10 pm then the picture so bad on itv its unwatchable , other 2 tv's feed of same ariel via splitter amp all good , im going to move one of the other tv's to sony feed just to check it aint a cable problem.

time then i think to get in touch with sony again, have they addmitted its thier problem by now sending me a cam to update ????????????

£2000 for a tv that i cant watch itv after 10 pm

wow they have done me a favour, :congratulations-008

i have to laugh or ill cry .
    It just sounds as if you're not receiving a strong enough signal after 10.00pm. Wouldn't a better Ariel or an inline signal amplifier cure the problem ?

Anyway, the real reason I'm answering your post is to add this link:-

_http://www.neotion.com/products/module.htm

Looks like there might be a big market soon for people who want to upgrade their TVs to MPEG4 by slotting a cam into their TVs.

I think someone else posted about this a long, long time ago but anyway I've posted it just in case it hasn't been here on the forum before.

Thanks
    Don't you have to realign the antenna to the polarity of the transmitter your viewing or at least check if they did not switch the polarity of that transmitter?
    The power output has decreased largely with the switch from analog to digital

Found a folder describing some test for the areal on
    Code:
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

Thanks
    i allready have a amp and a splitter , all tvs arround the house are feed off the same ariel via it.

all other tv,s are fine , so im assuming the ariel is ok, or is it the same as sat recievers they could have a different gain so the sony may need a stronger signal.

i thought they were upping the strenth after the switch over?

Banned
    Thanks
    pity isn't it re Sony tvs. I had a couple of Sonys - they used to be top quality & last forever - 1st lasted 20 years - 2nd one only 10 years

Then wnet on to Panasonics - worlds apart - far better

2 daughtrs have new Sony LCDs - not a patch on my Panny 32" LCD

m-in-law has a hand me down sony kd32nx100u form one of my daughters - cost £2500 - 10 years back - freeview enabled etc. - but won't retune - NIT problem

Thanks
    Don't know exactly the situation over in the UK. With analogue TV in Bruges, we could get Dutch, French, UK (Dover) TV, loved Thunderbirds on BBC 1, and Belgian TV: Dutch and French. Al I can receive now on the ariel is the Belgian Dutch Speaking TV only. Service area dropped here in Belgium and most likely in the Netherlands to a 30 KM distance.

Analogue requires lower signal strength to get a watchable picture. By extension, digital does not degrade as gracefully as analogue. For example, with low signal strength an analogue picture gets fuzzy (but is still viewable) while a digital picture freezes and stops updating.
    Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    i allready have a amp and a splitter , all tvs arround the house are feed off the same ariel via it.

all other tv,s are fine , so im assuming the ariel is ok, or is it the same as sat recievers they could have a different gain so the sony may need a stronger signal.

i thought they were upping the strenth after the switch over?
    The switch over for the northwest are.

4 Nov BBC2 turn off on analogue and you have to retune
    2 Dec the rest will be turn off and the signal will be boosted.

Knot sure if it will be boosted on 4 Nov.

The one for the 30 Oct should have made it so a lot more people could get Five but still the same what I have head. My Mums as lost a lot off them which she could get before just have to wait for the switch over and see what happens.

Thanks
    think this confirms the signal was boosted.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118453

Thanks
    forgot to reply back about 1 week after the upgrade everything started to work fine , i guess they had not upped the signal straight away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12