Thread: Linux HD box

Thanks

Linux HD box

Hi
    My first post, so please be nice!

I am thinking of getting my first linux box to dabble in the land of CS.
    I want a box with a top spec and HD with tons of flexability for future features that might be available with firmware updates.

Idealy a PVR box with twin tuners or the provision for twin tuners.

From talking with a friend to uses an old Dreambox for CS i need to run CCCAM emu.

I have a basic understanding of linux and a budget of £300.

I can get a Azbox premium for £300 but am concerned about the buggy software.
    Can anyone tell me what problems i can expect with this box? I presume the firmware is contantly being worked on to fix any issues.
    This looks like a good box if it will work out ok.

A Dreambox 800HD is i little expensive for my budget, but has anyone any experiences of the clone versions of these boxes? I have seen them for as little as £230. Do they run the same software as the originals? any drawbacks?

Finally; i have been offererd an Octagon 918 HD for £180.
    I have heard this can run CCCAM, is this true?
    Also have heard this is not a true Linux box?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm on a steep learning curve right now, but hey, i gotta start somewhere!
    Many thanks.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=sly666;648669]Hi
    Idealy a PVR box with twin tuners or the provision for twin tuners.

From talking with a friend to uses an old Dreambox for CS i need to run CCCAM emu.

I have a basic understanding of linux and a budget of £300.
    QUOTE]

hi m8
    For £300 PVR and twim turners u can only get AZbox
    For CCcam u need a dreambox and the only dreambox twin turner HD its the DM8000 cost about £870
    DM800 works ok with CCcam,PVR,HD but u can get ony 1 turner cost £399

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sly666 View Post
    I can get a Azbox premium for £300 but am concerned about the buggy software.
    Can anyone tell me what problems i can expect with this box? I presume the firmware is contantly being worked on to fix any issues.
    This looks like a good box if it will work out ok.
    The Azbox HD works OK.

At the moment though it's like buying a French car....it works but some things could be better.

A DM800 clone would probably be much the same, but would be worth a lot less if you wanted to sell.

I own the Azbox HD Premium, and despite it's niggles it is still a very good receiver, which can only get better.

I still own a DM7000 which I will probably never sell even though it it's well past it's sell by date, as it's a good old workhorse backup.

Was not really interested in another DMM machine as they offer nothing new.

The Azbox HD allows me to playback movies in 1080P and play all kinds of media files, and watch 4:2:2 feeds without using a PC, and that is what sells the Azbox for me despite the minor niggles which exist.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=x5;648674]
    For CCcam u need a dreambox and the only dreambox twin turner HD its the DM8000 cost about £870

Not true.

I run cccam in Azbox HD, which runs perfect in all but the latest botched firmware release, which is why I run the previous firmware, 2880, which works very good.

Thanks
    The most important factor to consider especialy with enigma2 equivelent boxes IMHO is how well the box is supported

You need to make your own mind up on that one but by far the best supported is the dreambox but it has its limitation for example 1080i instead of 1080p

Also you will find almost all emus (CC-CAM) work on the dreambox and lets face it thats what counts to make these boxes worth their weight in gold so to speak

After 6 months studying and the past 24 or so watching these HD boxes develop I plumped for the dreambox but ONLY for the reason its well supported like I said with these type of boxes and the CAMS that went before them they are only as good as the support out there and I dont mean the support now I mean the support in 3 or 4 years time.

Good luck and whatever you choose your sure to have quite a bit of fun playing with it

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I today took the plunge and ordered a Azbox HD Premium.

I'm sure i'll be back here in a couple of days asking how i get it working!!

Thanks Again.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I today took the plunge and ordered a Azbox HD Premium.

I'm sure i'll be back here in a couple of days asking how i get it working!!

Thanks Again.
    Very good choice my friend :respect-055::respect-055: