Thread: No Red Dot Please

Thanks

No Red Dot Please

I'm thinking of getting a Freesat HD receiver but wonder does the red dot come up on progs ?
    I don't like any dots or buttons to press on the screen and I want something where all I see it the picture.

I know with the usual Uncle Digger boxes the dot can be set to disappear after so many seconds but I don't want it there in the first place.

Also can these boxes be used to view other sats HD channels apart from 28E ?

Thanks.

Thanks
    If you want a Freesat HD receiver the only one worth having is the Humax Foxsat HDR in my opinion. I actually tried a few out, kept taking them back cos they were crap & eventually got this one which i'm pretty made up with. The picture quality on BBC HD is the best i've seen & it also upscales SD channels to 1080i which is pretty good as well, far better than the ones that don't upscale. The only channel with a red dot is ITV when their broadcasting HD content & it goes away once you've pressed it

The best thing about this stb is the non freesat mode, when combined with a motorised dish it behaves just like any other motorised system & you can use usals or diseqc 1.2 to scan all the sats your dish is capable of receiving.

Another reason i got this stb is it's the only Freesat box with a cam slot which works perfectly with my diablo 2.3 & when we had the HD channels on Thor the picture quality was amazing.

The only problem i've got now is the lack of HD content, with losing Thor the only HD channels that are fta on other sats aren't worth watching so now i'm thinking of going down the cs route which i could do with this stb if i got a diablo wifi or i could get a new HD linux box, i'm thinking of getting the Azbox premium which seems to be getting more popular all the time.

Even if i do get a new linux stb i'm definitely keeping this freesat box as i'm really impressed by the picture quality & i like the abilty to switch between freesat & non freesat.

Thanks
    Thanks for that, I don't want a receiver just for free BBC HD on 28E.
    If you can use it for others sats that's good.

Thanks
    the press red dot disappears when the green button is pressed on remote
    Last edited by burridge; 05-08-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    I agree with all of F.U.B.A.R's comments. The spec is tremendous. Keep the guarantee if you buy one!! Mine only records half of the progs that I ask it to. (Infuriating!!). Also 50% of the time it says 'no signal' which is nonsense. I then shuffle through half a doz channs and all then come in. Apart from that the box is great. It will have to go back when I get time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainglassback View Post
    Mine only records half of the progs that I ask it to. (Infuriating!!). Also 50% of the time it says 'no signal' which is nonsense.
    I agree, It has got a few annoying bugs but i'm willing to put up with them for now as i usually find a way to work around them, let's face it there seems to be a lot of buggy boxes around at the moment (as they say, better the devil you know !) Apparently Humax Know about all the little bugs that keep cropping up & are supposedly releasing a software update soon but i won't hold my breath, i've been waiting over 6 months now & i know the new ones in the shop have new software on them but for some reason they won't release the update ota or on their website, they say it's not important enough to release & they want to fix all the bugs in one go.

I've never heard of the no signal problem you've got apart from when someone with a twin lnb connected the second cable into lnb 1 out instead of lnb 2 in but i've had the problem with it not recording stuff. Apparently if you switch to non freesat mode & go channel hopping around different sats & return to freesat it can erase your recording schedule, the same thing can happen if you retune freesat.

Like i say quite a few annoying bugs but i think it's worth putting up with because the picture quality & functions are far superior than any other freesat box available & hopefully Humax will get their finger out & provide us with a decent update soon.

Thanks
    Indeed F.U.B.A.R I agree entirely. There is no real alternative for those wanting pvr and EFG plus ability to pull in from another sat AND a CAM slot! Despite my criticism I would still recommend it! (Thanks for your info re 'bugs').

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burridge View Post
    the press red dot disappears when the green button is pressed on remote

If I record something I don't want the red dot on the screen at all. After the commercial break the dot reappears and I fiind that irritating.

I think there should be something in the menu to switch off the red dot altogether if you don't want it.

It's the same with signing,there should be a way to switch it off and on or even better a separate channels where all the progs are signed.

Thanks
    I have a panasonic tv with built in freesat and unlike freeview, on viewing freesat the red dot goes after a few seconds auto.

Thanks
    Humax Foxsat HDR
    I got one for the wife in april so she could record her soaps, The picture quality is very good on my 42inch panasonic in fact SD is almost as good as the HD ,
    But on occasions I get my ears bashed when it fails to record the complete programme it stops just before the end, It must be one of those bugs.

man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manhatten View Post
    Humax Foxsat HDR
    I got one for the wife in april so she could record her soaps, The picture quality is very good on my 42inch panasonic in fact SD is almost as good as the HD ,
    But on occasions I get my ears bashed when it fails to record the complete programme it stops just before the end, It must be one of those bugs.

man
    If you go to recording in the settings menu you can change the recording end time so instead of stopping automatically it will stop 1,2,3 or 5 mins later, hope this helps.

Thanks
    If you go to recording in the settings menu you can change the recording end time so instead of stopping automatically it will stop 1,2,3 or 5 mins later, hope this helps. "Quote f.u.b.a.r."

I know that But its supposed to record the complete prog by pressing the red button, That is what this box is supposed to do.

man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manhatten View Post
    I know that But its supposed to record the complete prog by pressing the red button, That is what this box is supposed to do.
    It's supposed to record the prog by the time it says in the epg (well that's what it says in the manual) so it doesn't know if something's running late. That's why it's got the facility to change the end time of every recording, surely it's better to have a little bit more recording than you need rather than cutting the end off your wife's beloved soaps & gettin' your ears bashed

Thanks
    Thanks for the info f.u.b.a.r.

But I have had a hell of a job getting her to use the humax never mind getting her to add a bit on to the recordings,

She keeps saying give me a vcr anyday

Thanks

man

Thanks
    I got a Bush HD receiver but had to change it as the first one wasn't new and was faulty.There was no HDMI cable inside and it had been set up with the software downloaded and showing all channels with postcode already in.

Anyway I got another one brand new with HDMI cable and I set it up from scratch.

I notice that the SD channels are upscaled and the quality on most SD channels is good.
    On BBC HD I don't think there is a huge difference in quality from upscaled SD channels.

I thought there would be a huge difference but as most channels are SD a good SD picture is very beneficial.

I may go for a Foxsat HDR later on but for the moment £67 for the Bush was OK.
    Last edited by pineapple jack; 14-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.