Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which hard drive is the most quiet?

V.I.P
    Thanks

Which hard drive is the most quiet?

Decided to buy a box from our sponsor so I am reading up all the previous threads.
    I have a popcorn player (A100) and I found a full size HDD 3.5cm very noisy (but it only had an IDE connector) so I ended up using an USB driven 2.5cm laptop drive which is very quiet. I note that some people have modified the connectors in order to use an internal 2.5cm drive for this reason on the A100.
    The Azbox uses SATA connectors so have others found the same problem trying an internal SATA hard disk drive in the Azbox premium regarding noise? Any suggested makes?
    I would ideally like a large capacity drive perhaps a 1TB but would accept a smaller drive if quieter. Do PVR internal boxes like slyHD use 2.5cm drives?

Thanks
    Hi,

I use this one: Samsung SpinPoint F1 - HD103UJ - 1TB 3.5"

It is really quiet, moreover on the Azbox you can set it to turn off the HDD when not needed.

Some HDD are not properly recognise by the Azbox and so it is unable to format it.

BR,

Pr2

Thanks

Samsung HD103SI
    EcoGreen F2
    Capacity: 1 TB
    Interface: SATA 3.0 Gbps
    Buffer memory: 32 MB
    Uses less power than the F1, and should be quieter and generate less heat.

That's the one I am using.
    Last edited by xanadu; 22-06-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    I use Western Digital Caviar Green 1000GB, 32MB Cache, SATA II (WD10EADS)

Is quiet.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you have the cash then a Solid State Drive is the quietest. i.e. Silent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post

Samsung HD103SI
    EcoGreen F2
    Capacity: 1 TB
    Interface: SATA 3.0 Gbps
    Buffer memory: 32 MB
    Uses less power than the F1, and should be quieter and generate less heat.

That's the one I am using.
    Hello,

In the Azbox user manual it is clearly stated that you need to use a 7200 RPM HDD, the one you mention is "only" a 5400 RPM.
    So can you confirm that everything is working fine? (Timeshifting, recording, playback,...)

Pr2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pr2 View Post
    Hi,

I use this one: Samsung SpinPoint F1 - HD103UJ - 1TB 3.5"

It is really quiet, moreover on the Azbox you can set it to turn off the HDD when not needed.

Some HDD are not properly recognise by the Azbox and so it is unable to format it.

BR,

Pr2
    I have used this one and it is quiet and no issues with HD recording, timeshift etc. Good value too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pr2 View Post
    Hello,

In the Azbox user manual it is clearly stated that you need to use a 7200 RPM HDD, the one you mention is "only" a 5400 RPM.
    So can you confirm that everything is working fine? (Timeshifting, recording, playback,...)

Pr2
    I can confirm that everything is fine.

Recording and playback of HD is perfect.

I don't see why there should be any problem with a 5400RPM SATA drive

Performance Specifications Average Seek time(typical) 8.9 ms Average Latency 5.52 ms Data Transfer Rate / Media to/from Buffer(Max.) 166 MB/sec Data Transfer Rate / Buffer to/from Host(Max.) 300 MB/sec Drive Ready Time(typical) 12 sec

F1 Drive 7200RPM specs below:-
    Performance Specifications Average Seek time(typical) 8.9 ms Average Latency 4.17 ms Data Transfer Rate / Media to/from Buffer(Max.) 175 MB/sec Data Transfer Rate / Buffer to/from Host(Max.) 300 MB/sec Drive Ready Time(typical) 12 sec

Theres not much difference.

Also, when you think about it many HD receivers use USB portable 2.5inch drives for PVR functions, which are far slower than any SATA drive, including my Fortecstar Innovation which recorded and played back HD channels perfect.

Mildly Important Nymph :D goran's Avatar
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DJBlu View Post
    If you have the cash then a Solid State Drive is the quietest. i.e. Silent.
    Code:
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/02/15/solid-state-drives-deliver-poor-performance-super-reliability/
    Explain, please...?:respect-051:

Thanks
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hdd-sata,2115-2.html
    In terms of reliability, there's been much debate about just how reliable SSDs are. There's a stigma over SSDs: that memory sectors will fail over time with repeated erases and writes. On average, SSDs are rated at roughly 100,000 write cycles per memory sector. Manufacturers claim that this roughly gives an average SSD a 1,000,000 hour MTBF rating.

Some users are concerned with using SSDs as their main operating system drive, which is what they should be used for anyway. Unlike archival drives, system drives take the highest level of beating. Even so, I reckon that the typical SSD has a lower failure rate than HDDs due to the lack of moving parts. There's a substantial increase in the chance of failure for HDDs due to the myriad of mechanical parts. Having many memory sectors fail over a long time is a lot less damaging than is a single head crash. In most cases, a catastrophic head crash--where the read/write head actually breaks off the actuator--your HDD is completely hosed. Even with a 50 percent sector failure in an SSD, the chances of recovering data is far higher.

Where SSDs will succeed first is in the mobile market, where reliability and stability are heavy factors. But until prices become more mainstream, expect to see SSD laptops remain at the upper echelon of premium-priced configurations. For the desktop, the HDD will remain the king of storage for several more years.

Those who were looking forward to 2009 or even 2010 to be the year of SSDs, you'll just have to wait longer.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanks guys-
    I don't think there is a high capacity SSD (solid state drive i.e. no moving parts ) yet as they are very expensive. In the future all memory will likely to be SSD as they are likely to get cheaper in time (just look at the ipod touch/mp3 players and some of the notebooks). The obvious advantage is that there is no noise and very little power consumption but there may be issues with speed.

With regards to hard drives- I think I read somewhere that slyhd units use 5400rpm IDE as they are much quieter.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    NAS is another option. Store it in a room where noise isn't a problem!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goran View Post
    Code:
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/02/15/solid-state-drives-deliver-poor-performance-super-reliability/
    Explain, please...?:respect-051:
    2008/02/15 is the date of this article Goran! Get with the times everyone knows they are improving. lol

Thanks

Icon3

But you missed he "explain" bit, sorry DJBlu... So, can you? Obviously, you know more than me, so...

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goran View Post
    But you missed he "explain" bit, sorry DJBlu... So, can you? Obviously, you know more than me, so...
    As what I said was said in jest I won't go too deep into it.

Speed and durability has improved during the past 12 months. As with most technology improvements with reduction in price.

I know you can now get a 128GB SSD with 220 MB/s read and 200MB/s write with low power usage and no noise. for under £300.

Maybe the read is under the SataII burst speed but whats 80/100MB/s between friends.

As I said you need to be able to afford this cost, if money is no object then hey who cares.

Thanks
    nas could be to slow for full hd streaming? Gigabit Ethernet 1 gbps, SATA-300 <= 3 gbps. bits per second.
    Last edited by Giga; 22-06-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: gbps

Thanks

Question

Too small, esp. for HD stuff, isn't it?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    max bitrate of a HD stream is ... ?

62.5 Mbps is the max for any stream considering this is the max the chipset can handle.

So cat5 ethernet over the 100Mbps connection is doable.

I suppose if you had 2 x 62.5Mbps streams 1 recording 1 watching this would become a problem, but this is 1080p @ 30hz High Profile. I don't believe any broadcasters are pushing this out at the moment, I could be wrong.

Just looked at a few HD Channels and found that the average is 21Mbps.
    Last edited by DJBlu; 22-06-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    Blu-Ray has a max bit rate of 40Mbps.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    Blu-Ray has a max bit rate of 40Mbps.
    Just edited my post, sry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast