Thread: Five HD?

Thanks

Five HD?

Five HD........ when I wonder ?

Thanks
    Never...I expect!

Nobody watches Five, and therefore it's not going to be financially viable.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    I watch Five ?

Don't think there will be a Five HD when they have just laid off a load of their staff

TNT

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 470 Posts

Icon12

Channel 4 and Welsh counterpart S4C have made a joint application to Ofcom for the fourth and, for now, final available HD channel slot on the digital terrestrial TV platform.

The planned service would consist of an HD version of Film4, between 11am and 4am, plus a block of children's programmes between 7am and 11am.

Ultimately, the hours between 4am and 7am will be used to provide a free-to air video-on-demand service, it said, "as and when the technology becomes available".

The Channel 4/S4C venture could be on the air by late 2011 or early 2012.

Meanwhile, Five has submitted plans to launch a simulcast of its existing linear channel, Five. Between 6pm and 11pm the HD channel would simulcast Five programming, featuring shows such as drama, Uefa Cup football and Fifth Gear. And between 6am and 5pm, it said a HD service would be "supplied by another broadcaster" without detailing further what form this would take.

Like Channel 4, it plans eventually to launch a VoD service using the Freeview slot.

The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have already been awarded one slot each on Freeview for simulcast of their HD services from later this year. The fourth slot is expected to become available in July 2010.
    mediaweek.co.uk, 23 February 2009.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    5 have some good us tv shows that are crying out for HD. House and CSI please

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts

Icon14 Five

Many of Five progs are so clear obviously they must have already been MADE in HD in anticipation!
    I for my sins watch Home & Away - and its just like watching HD already!

Thanks
    Thanks bob, interesting reading. All the best baddog.

Thanks
    It appears that Australia are way ahead of it´s old mother country. The 3 commercial and 2 government channels all have their own HD freeview channel. With a population of only 20 million how does that compare to the UK with a population 61 million and run by a ¨one eyed scotish idiot¨

Maybe time to move back home!

Dickie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Many of Five progs are so clear obviously they must have already been MADE in HD in anticipation!
    I for my sins watch Home & Away - and its just like watching HD already!

Watchin those fine looking aussie birds you can be forgiven for thinking they in HD more like H double D...

Thanks
    I spend 3 to 4 months in Australia every year and I can assure you that the majority of programs are complete crap. The commercial stations never ever run to time and the adverts are much longer than the programs.
    Yes they do have terrestrial HD but this is because there are no band width issues as there are hardly any channels, 5 in the City 2 in the country.
    As for satellite there is a choice of 1 (156E) which is totally encrypted, including BBC world and Bloomberg, so unless you want to pay Poxtell you can see nothing.
    To be fair there are some HD sat channels but there are still more that are not even in widescreen.

Thanks
    Think channel [ 4 @5 ] Are joining together ? Could be wrong