Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moteck Motor Motor play and Motor noise

Thanks

Moteck Motor Motor play and Motor noise

Ok I have been upgrading my motorised setup and I have a few queries with regards my motor.

I ordered a Motek 2100A but got delivered a Strong STR2100 (Moteck clone). I decided to fit it (big mistake I think). The motor works but has a lot of play in it. By play I mean up and down play in the arm, not East to West. Ive concluded that this really isnt right. I can lift the dish by easily 20mm which is making setting up the dish a bit tricky. On the other hand I have no play on the East to West at all. So does anyone else have the same problem or is it just my motor? I realise the backlash can but Im guessing that this only takes up slack in the East West.

Also Ive noticed that the motor is very noisy when turning. I can hear it inside the house and easily hear it outside and the dish is on the roof! OK I admit my old motor is a Stab HH120 which Id have to look at to see if it was moving but considering the Moteck is sold as "ultra low noise" I am starting to conclude that what I probably have is a cheap Moteck clone rather than a rebadged original.

Any thoughts ? How noisy is your Moteck?

Thanks
    mine makes a humming noise when it moves,mines definetly not a clone SG2100A ,suppose depends on the size and weight of your dish,lnb,had mine nearly 4 yrs,got moss growing on it still going though!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    send it back to your supplier and demand a proper motor not cheap faulty crap

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I ordered a motek 2100a and ended up with a digiquest 2100a. It has the same issues as your own. it has up and down movement but no east west movement. It's also noisey. I have had it up two years come april and it is fine and working well. It's driving a funke 1m dish and has been up above the roofline and at ground level. Still a ok in my eyes. Only issues I've had are on a couple of times the motor when sending to something like 7w where there is no signal has got stuck. There is a reset under the motor and a east west drive. I brought it back into line a 0w and reset and away it went again.

ki

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I would consider a motor with up down movement usless in gusting wind but if it suits some peoples needs so be it

Thanks
    Hmm thanks guys.

My dish is a Penta 85 so its not particularly heavy but its sitting above the roof line as is the motor. Its not an ideal position but its the most practical solution to avoid lots of trees. So it will be exposed to the worst of the weather, hence my concern over the play.

I should have sent it back straight away but I dont think theres much I can do now its fitted. I could argue that its faulty but chances are Id just get another crappy motor back. Whenever Ive sent stuff back in the past Ive always landed up paying for the return postage so Im thinking Il just cut my loses and buy a genuine Moteck from a reputable source.

The noise isnt an issue personally but it might be for the neighbours. I always seem to accidentally send the motor off in the wrong direction usually around midnight when Im struggling to stay awake !

Thanks for your help looks like I need to get another motor.

Thanks
    where did you buy it from?
    name and shame the supplier so others don't from the same place...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dui View Post
    where did you buy it from?
    name and shame the supplier so others don't from the same place...
    Nah I couldnt do that and anyway I should have contacted them as soon as I received it, right or wrong they havent had the chance to correct the problem so its my fault as much as theirs. Still the Penta 85 they supplied is just fine

Thanks
    By "up and down" do you mean vertical or is it back and forward if you tilt the top of the dish? Have you realy tightened the allen bolt that holds the motor tube onto the motor?

Thanks
    Its backwards and forwards. I can lift the dish as if the elevation bolts are not tightened ....except they are. I can see the motor tube move a few mm when I do it. I have tried to tighten the bolts on the tibe but they dont want to move. I havent tried taking it apart but I dont see that helping.

Thanks
    It's a daft design in my book (yes I'm an engineer).
    The shaft coming out of the motor is threaded, the bolt enters from one side of the tube and screws into that thread. However, there is also a captive nut through at the other side that the bolt finally goes through. Being captive, you can't fit a spanner onto it, thus it does absolutely NOTHING!! Therefor, the tube is only tight on one side of the shaft.
    A better design would be to forget the internal thread on the shaft and just have a nut & bolt from one side to the other, thus clamping the tube to the shaft from both sides.

Thanks
    Glad you said that. I was thinking that I was missing a trick when I put a spanner up to that nut and found nothing to turn

Thanks
    I agree with AM556. It dosen't matter how tight you get the bolt, if you have play, it will still be there.
    I had the same problem with my Technomate 2200, what I did was to shim it down the sides of the shaft (north and south) with strips of beer can (approx 1/2" x 1") I used 3 strips down each side and that sorted it.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    seems you have an answer a tin of pale ale will sort it if not you can get drunk and forget

Thanks
    i started off with a motek motor but it had too much play left to right,its because the cogs inside are nylon plastic.ive now got a technomate motor which looks the same but has metal cogs and is very stable.

Thanks
    Thanks guys I might try shimming it. Looks like the general consensus is that no motor is perfect and to a degree theres a bit of luck involved in getting a good one. Thanks for your help anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by supakev View Post
    i started off with a motek motor but it had too much play left to right,its because the cogs inside are nylon plastic.ive now got a technomate motor which looks the same but has metal cogs and is very stable.
    Aren't the metal gears supposed to be noisier?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by supakev View Post

Who lie to you my mate !??

Technomate never has eny metal in their life ,chek even the new one ...

Moteck and Technomate are same ...

The only proper Motor with strong Metal Gear is DarkMotor

chek here on the Link ,please

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...chnomate+motor

Thanks

Icon14 Best Motor

He forgot to mention Stab there motors are Made in Italy not Taiwan or China so its decent metal on the gears see report on other motors

h**p://64.78.51.244/download/HH90TEST.pdf

Thanks
    my motek 2100a as been up over 5yrs now and still no movement probs driving td88 dish but if i up grade dish to 1.2 then dark motor would be the one for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast