PDA

View Full Version : Help!

plaskotki
06-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Could anybody post a screenshot of var/etc folder on s4000, please? I have tried to upload edited channel list using ftp and something went wrong. I need to try to recreate it.

darrellr
06-01-2011, 01:39 AM
I have:

Dir:
Protect

Files:
_service.fdu
coconut.dat
httpd.conf
inadyn.conf
ld.so.cache
ld.so.conf
passwd
rt73stadat

Edit: Just had a look at "_service.fdu" and it is a complete uptodate list of all my channels etc. Hmmmmmmm I think you may have an answer!

ManikM
06-01-2011, 01:43 AM
heres mine mate

ManikM
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
I have:

Dir:
Protect

Files:
_service.fdu
coconut.dat
httpd.conf
inadyn.conf
ld.so.cache
ld.so.conf
passwd
rt73stadat

Edit: Just had a look at "_service.fdu" and it is a complete uptodate list of all my channels etc. Hmmmmmmm I think you may have an answer!

correct, this is what the system uses for channel lists...u can swap this about at your peril

darrellr
06-01-2011, 01:45 AM
correct, this is what the system uses for channel lists...u can swap this about at your peril

I'm guessing the OP had this file set with dodgy permissions such that it can't be deleted/amended. Hence the failure to shut down and the inability to change settings.

plaskotki
06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm guessing the OP had this file set with dodgy permissions such that it can't be deleted/amended. Hence the failure to shut down and the inability to change settings.
Thanks for your help. Hmmm, it sounds like this might be my problem. What would be the solution? Really weird things were happening when I fiddled with the _service.fdu file. I have deleted it and replaced it with a version of .fdu file I created using the Octagon soft suggested by you. I just chaned the file name to _service.fdu
The first time I did it it worked a treat. I thought great! I edited my other favourite channels list and I did the same again, but the list stb displayed was the one I uploaded before. I have tried a few more times, but no luck. I even completely deleted the file and the stb was still displaying the channels as the file was there. Spoooooky! However, by doing this I seem to have overcome the 'Wait off' problem. So it seem anyway. I keep thinking that maybe the stb memory is corrupt...
The initial probles though started when I first upgraded to .65 dated 3Dec, this is before I edited the channel list and uploaded it using ftp protocol.

darrellr
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I would assume that the box reads the _service.fdu on cold boot and writes it into RAM. Hence you can delete the file and replace it without making a difference until the box reboots.

There may even be a "save on close" function which writes the channel list in RAM back to that stored in NVRAM.

Anyway, I assume that if you now use PolarEdit to copy, edit and restore the channel lists via your home network you will be fine. Just make sure you select the restart option after to transferring back - sometimes it doesn't restart and you need to re-send a few times until it actually does restart.

plaskotki
06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I would assume that the box reads the _service.fdu on cold boot and writes it into RAM. Hence you can delete the file and replace it without making a difference until the box reboots.

There may even be a "save on close" function which writes the channel list in RAM back to that stored in NVRAM.

Anyway, I assume that if you now use PolarEdit to copy, edit and restore the channel lists via your home network you will be fine. Just make sure you select the restart option after to transferring back - sometimes it doesn't restart and you need to re-send a few times until it actually does restart.
Hi there. Thanks for your post. Just to clarify smth-I can upload the .fdu file using PolarEdit, but when I choose to restart the receiver, the list does not get updated. Wrrrr.

darrellr
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
OH! :o15:

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to downgrade to .44 firmware, do a full factory reset, scan in a satellite and prove/disprove all works then re-upgrade to .65 and factory rest again.

If still not working, box up and send back to Icecrypt for repair/replacement.

Good luck. :respect-054: